Calculate Reaction Forces at B & D: Beam Bending Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the reaction forces at points B and D. The solution involves finding the sum of vertical forces and then using a moment equation. The correct equation for the moment about D is 9By + 12 - (9*5*6.5) - (7*4) = 0, and the calculation for By is 34.28. The conversation also touches on the convention for positive and negative moments, with the understanding that as long as a consistent convention is used, it doesn't matter which one is chosen.
dvep

Homework Statement

Calculate the reaction forces at B and D

See attached jpeg.

The Attempt at a Solution

sum of vertical forces

By + Dy = 7 + (9*5)

Do I then solve for the moment about D or A or B?

for moment about D i have: -Dy -7 -(9*5)+9By+(12*2)=0

is this correct, please explain to me the process of and how I should go about these problems

Any advice is appreciated, thankyou.

Attachments

• fig.jpg
    fig.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The moment equation you have written is incorrect. For example, what is the moment of the 7 kN force about D? Remember, the sign of the moment is important. The moment of the distributed load is also incorrect. I don't know why you are multiplying the applied moment of 12 kNm by 2.

SteamKing said:
The moment equation you have written is incorrect. For example, what is the moment of the 7 kN force about D? Remember, the sign of the moment is important. The moment of the distributed load is also incorrect. I don't know why you are multiplying the applied moment of 12 kNm by 2.

When the moment is clockwise to the left of the point it is positive?

moment about D:

9By +12 - (9*5*2.5) -(7*4) = 0

Is that correct now?

On the moment of the distributed load, remember the center of the load must be taken about point D. Check your moment arm.

SteamKing said:
On the moment of the distributed load, remember the center of the load must be taken about point D. Check your moment arm.

9By +12 - (9*5*6.5) -(7*4) = 0

By= 34.28

I'm am still a bit unclear on the moments when they are positive and negative, is what I said before correct, when they are to the left of the point and clockwise , they are positive?

The convention chosen doesn't matter, as long as it is consistently applied. I use the convention where the horizontal direction is positive to the right, vertical is positive upward, and the counterclockwise moment about the origin is positive. This is a right-hand system, and it is used later on in other areas of physics.

1. How do I calculate reaction forces at B and D?

To calculate reaction forces at B and D, you will need to use the equations for static equilibrium. This means that the sum of forces in the x-direction and in the y-direction must equal zero. You can use the known loads and distances from the supports to solve for the reaction forces at B and D.

2. What are the units for reaction forces?

The units for reaction forces depend on the units used for the loads and distances. Typically, they are expressed in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for reaction forces?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for reaction forces. However, make sure you are using the correct equations and units for your specific problem.

4. Do I need to consider the weight of the beam when calculating reaction forces?

Yes, you should consider the weight of the beam when calculating reaction forces. The weight of the beam is typically included as a downward force acting at the midpoint of the beam. This will affect the distribution of the reaction forces at B and D.

5. What other factors should I consider when calculating reaction forces?

In addition to the weight of the beam, you should also consider any external forces acting on the beam, such as applied loads or moments. You should also take into account any supports or connections that may affect the distribution of the reaction forces.