Bending of Light: Other Observations Beyond Eddington

In summary: Petephoton sphere is the term used to describe the path of light as it orbits a massive object. This phenomenon has been observed by multiple astronomers since Eddington's initial observation in 1919 and is a crucial piece of evidence for general relativity. The Hubble telescope has also captured images of this gravitational lensing effect, resulting in double images of distant objects.
spidey
Are there other observations for the bending of light apart from Eddington 1919...i want to know that whether bending of light is observed by other astronomers other than Eddington since this is a vital proof of general relativity...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I saw once a Hubble telescope pic of the gravitational lens effect that resulted in a double image of something or another. Maybe someone knows what I am referring to.

There have been a number of such observations since 1919 including, as Helios says, observations of "gravitational lensing" of stars.

spidey said:
Are there other observations for the bending of light apart from Eddington 1919...i want to know that whether bending of light is observed by other astronomers other than Eddington since this is a vital proof of general relativity...

See here

Thank you..

If light ( photons ) can be bent in their path , Is it possible for light to be bent into and orbit about a very massive object?

Alfi said:
If light ( photons ) can be bent in their path , Is it possible for light to be bent into and orbit about a very massive object?
Yes. Such an orbit resides on what is known as the photon sphere.

Pete

photon sphere.

ah ...it helps so much to know what something is called. Now I can read up on the topic.

Thanks

1. How does light bend in different mediums?

Light bends when it travels through a medium with a different refractive index than the one it was traveling through previously. This change in direction is caused by the speed of light changing as it enters a different medium.

2. What is the cause of light bending in gravitational fields?

Light bends in gravitational fields due to the warping of space-time by massive objects. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, was first predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. Can light bend around corners?

Yes, light can bend around corners due to a phenomenon called diffraction. This occurs when light encounters an obstacle, causing it to spread out and bend around the edges of the obstacle.

4. How is light bending used in modern technology?

Light bending is used in various technologies, such as fiber optics, where light is transmitted through thin glass fibers by constantly reflecting off the walls of the fiber. This allows for high-speed data transfer and telecommunications.

5. Can we observe the bending of light in everyday life?

Yes, the bending of light can be observed in everyday life through various phenomena, such as the rainbow, mirages, and the twinkling of stars. These are all caused by the bending of light as it passes through different mediums or is affected by gravitational fields.