Bending of two Square beams and side plates in contact

In summary, to solve this problem in ANSYS Workbench 13, you need to model the structure, set up the contact and boundary conditions, apply the load, and check the results for accuracy.
unlikely2like
hello all
I have this problem to solve in ansys workbench 13 (Im new to this software): two parallel 5000mm length square beams in contact 200x80x8 (EN10219: structural hollow sections ) in frictionless contact and on the sides two side plates. At the ends I have two suports and I have on top an aplied pressure of 0.75 Mpa (hand computed bending stress should be top/bottom 219.62 Mpa, bending moment=172500Nm)
Can anyone help me on how to approach this problem?

I have used contacts as follows:
- beam / beam : No separation
- beam/sideplate and all other contacts: bonded
- one suport is cilindrical suport (tangential degree of freedom free)
- the other support is compression only
- all are augmented lagrange formulation
Regarding the mesh I have putted contact sizing forr al contacts:50mm
No substeps : 100
I have used large deflection on but it can't converge

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• dwg.png
    dwg.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 463
  • geometry.png
    geometry.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 452
  • hand calc.png
    hand calc.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 457
Engineering news on Phys.org
.The first step would be to model the structure using the appropriate CAD geometry available in ANSYS Workbench. The next step would be to setup the contact between the beams and plates and also the supports. Then you need to define the boundary conditions for the supports, i.e. the cilindrical support has a tangential degree of freedom free and the other support is compression only. Finally, you can set up the loads and apply the pressure at the top and run the analysis. Once the analysis is complete, you should check the results to see if they match your expected values. If they do not, then you may need to refine the mesh and/or adjust the contact settings. You can also try using substeps to increase the accuracy of the solution.

1. How does the contact between two square beams affect their bending?

When two square beams are in contact, their bending behavior is influenced by the amount of force applied, the material properties of the beams, and the geometry of their contact area. The contact area between the beams creates a restraint on their movement, altering their bending stiffness and stress distribution.

2. What is the significance of side plates in the bending of two square beams?

The presence of side plates in the contact area between two square beams can significantly affect their bending behavior. Side plates add stiffness and strength to the beams, and can also change the distribution of stress and strain in the beams. They can also help to distribute the load more evenly across the beams.

3. How does the length of the contact area between two square beams impact their bending?

The length of the contact area between two square beams has a direct influence on their bending behavior. A longer contact area will result in a larger restraint on the beams, leading to a higher bending stiffness and more uniform stress distribution. On the other hand, a shorter contact area will result in less restraint and a lower bending stiffness.

4. What are the effects of non-uniform contact pressure on the bending of two square beams?

Non-uniform contact pressure occurs when the force applied to the beams is not evenly distributed across the contact area. This can lead to uneven stress distribution and potentially cause one of the beams to fail before the other. Non-uniform contact pressure can also result in a non-linear bending behavior, making it more difficult to accurately predict the beams' deflection and stress.

5. How can the bending behavior of two square beams in contact be predicted?

The bending behavior of two square beams in contact can be predicted using mathematical models and simulation software. These tools take into account the material properties of the beams, the geometry of their contact area, and the applied forces to accurately predict their bending stiffness, deflection, and stress distribution. Experimental testing can also be used to validate the results and improve the accuracy of the predictions.