Bending Space: Unraveling the Mystery

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of bending space and the different types of curvature - intrinsic and extrinsic. It also highlighted the non-intuitive nature of understanding non-flat geometry and how it relates to general relativity and the curvature of space-time. The idea of bending space was further explored using the example of the Earth's curved surface. The speaker also reassured the listener that it is normal not to immediately understand this concept, as humans have evolved in a world of Euclidean geometry and have no natural understanding of non-Euclidean geometry.
thinkandmull
As I hold a paper back book and bend it, I do not understand this idea of bending space. If I suppose the book and the air around it are really space, when I bend the book, that part of "space" goes into other parts of "space". Further, there must be space where the bending space once ways. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google for "intrinsic curvature" and "extrinsic curvature", and search the relativity forum here for those terms.

What you're doing is producing extrinsic curvature by deforming the two-dimensional surface of the book when you bend it through the third dimension. The space-time curvature that produces gravity in general relativity is the other kind - intrinsic curvature - and it doesn't need an extra dimension to bend through.

Also be aware that what you're asking about is very, very non-intuitive. General relativity, which is the theory that describes spacetime and spacetime curvature, is based on very high-level mathematics about differential geometry. Differential geometry is about the study of non-flat geometries, like the surface of a saddle or a sphere. Non-flat geometry, also known as non-euclidean geometry, is NOT something people ever work with in school until well into college. Rules that hold in flat geometry (aka euclidean geometry) don't necessarily hold in non-euclidean geometry. For example, in basic geometry classes students learn that all three angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees. If you study a triangle on a non-flat surface, you will find that this does NOT hold true.

If we extend this idea from a 2d surface to a 3d space then we get a very non-intuitive description of space but one that is perfectly logical in mathematical terms.

Just about everyone is familiar with the nonflat geometry of the Earth's curved surface. If two people standing at the south pole start walking in opposite directions, they'll meet face to face at the North pole. That's a curvature effect - if the surface of the Earth were flat they'd never see each other again.

thinkandmull said:
As I hold a paper back book and bend it, I do not understand this idea of bending space. If I suppose the book and the air around it are really space, when I bend the book, that part of "space" goes into other parts of "space". Further, there must be space where the bending space once ways. What am I missing?
To add, to what's already been said, don't feel badly about not "getting" this right off. We humans evolved in a world of Euclidean geometry(*) so there was zero survival value in understanding the non-Euclidean geometry of space-time.

* to be very technical, we evolved on a spherical surface (spherical geometry), but we didn't KNOW that for the first 99% of human evolution and so it had no relevance to human evolution

What is space bending?

Space bending, also known as spacetime curvature, is a concept in physics that describes the bending or warping of the fabric of space and time. This bending is caused by the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars, and is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

How does space bending affect our daily lives?

While the effects of space bending are usually only noticeable on a large scale, it does have some practical applications in our daily lives. For example, the GPS systems we use to navigate rely on precise calculations of space bending to accurately determine our location.

What causes space bending?

The primary cause of space bending is the presence of mass or energy. The more massive an object is, the more it will bend the fabric of spacetime around it. This effect can also be observed with high-energy phenomena, such as black holes.

Can space bending be observed?

Yes, space bending has been observed and confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects and the detection of gravitational waves. However, these effects can only be observed on a large scale and are not noticeable in our everyday lives.

How does space bending relate to time dilation?

Space bending and time dilation are both consequences of Einstein's theory of general relativity. Time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds or in a strong gravitational field, resulting in a difference in the passage of time compared to a stationary observer. Space bending is a result of massive objects warping the fabric of spacetime, which can also affect the flow of time in that region. Both phenomena are interconnected and have been confirmed through scientific experiments.