1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending Waves, Plate and Beam theory?

1. Mar 31, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am doing research on sound radiation of a plate due to bending waves. I have come across the Kirchhoff Plate theory, Euler beam theory and also the equations for the phase velocity of longitudinal, transverse shear and bending waves. What i am confused about is how these theories and equations are related to each other? I read journals that only state the three waves previously mentioned and provide the bending wave equation with them. However, when i research the plate and beam theory, there is also mention of the bending wave equations. Am i wrong in thinking that the plate and beam theory are used to derive the equation of a bending wave? Or is it that the bending wave equation was already known, and the plate/beam theory are used to determine how a bending wave reacts in solids? I hope this makes sense

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted