Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bent's rule for bond length

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1

Titan97

Gold Member

Taken from 'Concise Inorganic Chemistry - J.D.Lee': "According to Bent's rule, more electronegative atom not only prefers to stay in the orbital having more p-character but can also increase the p-character in its attached orbital of the central atom depending on the circumstance... With an increase in p-character, bond length increases..".
    So shouldn't dC-Cl of CF3Cl > dC-Cl of CH3Cl?
    But dC-Cl in CH3Cl=1.78 A° and dC-Cl in CF3Cl = 1.75 A°. Why is it opposite to my conclusion?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2
    I think it is correct.
    Bent's rule is that in a molecule, a central atom bonded to multiple groups will hybridise so that orbitals with more s character are directed towards electropositive groups, while orbitals with more p character will be directed towards groups that are more electronegative.
    Because in CH3Cl ,C-Cl bond will have more p character than in CF3Cl. Because cl is the only electronegative atom in CH3Cl but in CF3Cl Fluorine is more electronegative.Ans as p character increases bond length also increases.Hence dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl.

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3

Titan97

Gold Member

What does the increased p-character in C-F bond have to do with the bond length of C-Cl bond? Does fluorine affect the electronegativity difference between Carbon and Chlorine? What I think is, a partial positive charge appears on carbon in CF3Cl of a graeter magnitude than that in CH3Cl and Electronegativity difference between C and Cl is more in CF3Cl. So p-character is more in CF3Cl and hence bond length is reverse of the calculated bond length.
    (I know what I am saying is wrong but i dont know "where" i am going wrong)

5. Aug 11, 2015 #4
    It is about C-Cl bond,as data given is of C-Cl bond.

6. Aug 11, 2015 #5
    As p character in C-Cl is more in CH3Cl than in CF3Cl, dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl.
    Because p character ∝ bond length.

7. Aug 11, 2015 #6

Titan97

Gold Member

So what about:

8. Aug 11, 2015 #7
    It's not about electronegativity difference.It's about electronegativity of a particular atom or group.Greater P character is conferred to the bond of central atom with the most electronegative atom or group of a compound which is C-Cl bond in CH3Cl but not C-Cl bond of CF3Cl.

9. Aug 11, 2015 #8

Titan97

Gold Member

This is from your post: "Fluorine is more electronegative.Ans as p character increases bond length also increases.Hence dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl."
    You say that "Fluorine is more electronegative...Hence dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl". If fluorine is more electronegative, then C-F bond length increases. But you are talking about C-Cl bond using E.N of fluorine.
    I am sorry. But I am confused.

10. Aug 12, 2015 #9
    Fluorine is more electronegative so p character would be concentrated in C-F bonds so bond C-Cl would not have high percentage of p character as in C-Cl bond of CH3Cl because in CH3Cl Cl was the only electrnegative element therefore p character would be concentrated in C-Cl bond.

11. Aug 13, 2015 #10
    CF3Cl consists of an sp3 hybridised carbon . By Bent's rule , p-character will increse in the F-C bonds , decreasing p-character in Cl-C bond , or , effectively , increasing s-character in Cl-C bond .

In CH3Cl on the other hand , Cl-C bond has a higher p-character . Now , p-character corresponds to longer bond length as compared to s-character . Hence , the latter has greater bond length .

Hope this helps .

12. Aug 13, 2015 #11
    Did you understand @Titan 97?

13. Aug 13, 2015 #12

Titan97

Gold Member

I understand now. Thank you.

14. Aug 13, 2015 #13

Titan97

Gold Member

I understand now. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook