Benzalkonium chloride leaked into basement floor

• Thread starter Damnation2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    leakage
In summary, the benzalkonium chloride in a cheap bottle leaked and caused fumes to be emitted throughout the basement of the home where it was used. The concrete surface was not sealed and the fumes are likely coming from the porous concrete. A concrete seal might be able to contain the fumes or prevent a similar problem from occurring in the future.
Damnation2
A cheap bottle I had containing benzalkonium chloride, for household cleaning, leaked entirely into one spot on my basement floor. The leakage wasn't noticed until after my carpet was bleached orange and the benzalkonium chloride solution was already dry. The carpet and padding have both been replaced since then; however, the fumes emanating throughout my basement have not gone away! Do I need to peel-up the padding and scrub the concrete surface using a special surfactant? I have no clue about how porous basement concrete can be, but maybe the liquid penetrated deep into the concrete material.

How bad can this be? All thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated. Please offer any insight you can. Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Unless your concrete was coated with a sealer, it is probably quite porous.
Otherwise I'm useless here. I have no idea how to clean it up.
You could try painting the floor with a concrete sealant. They are easy to find at hardware stores in California.

Likes Damnation2
Sorry, ignore 'benzalkonium chloride'. I've discarded the bottle and I wasn't able to find the actual ingredients until now.

Here they are:

Active Ingredients
Alkyl (C14, 50%; C12, 40%; C16, 10%) 0.034%
Octyl Decyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride 0.026%
Didecyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride 0.013%
Dioctyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride 0.013%
Inert Ingredients 99.914%
Unless your concrete was coated with a sealer, it is probably quite porous.
Otherwise I'm useless here. I have no idea how to clean it up.
You could try painting the floor with a concrete sealant.

Thanks. The concrete surface wasn't sealed before the leakage. If these fumes really are coming from the concrete, are you saying a concrete seal might be able to contain the fumes, or that it might prevent a similar problem from occurring in the future?

Last edited:
Hi Damnation2. I am not a chemist, but a quick Google of one of the ingredient names suggests that they are quaternary ammonium compounds, a group that includes benzalkonium chloride.

Your bottle had less than 0.1% of the active ingredient. I work with solutions of ~2% benzalkonium chloride frequently - it's great for getting rid of mold, mildew, algae on concrete etc. (see product "Wet and Forget"). I find those solutions nearly odorless. I don't know what you are smelling, but it is more likely to be related to the "inert" ingredients of the product that leaked, or (more likely IMO) the replacement padding and carpet you installed, than the active ingredients of the product that leaked.

Likes Tom.G and Damnation2

1. What is Benzalkonium chloride?

Benzalkonium chloride is a type of disinfectant and antiseptic commonly used in cleaning products, pharmaceuticals, and personal care products.

2. How did the Benzalkonium chloride leak into the basement floor?

The most common way for Benzalkonium chloride to leak into the basement floor is through accidental spills or leaks from containers or products containing the chemical. It can also seep into the ground through drainage systems or pipes.

3. Is Benzalkonium chloride harmful to humans?

In small amounts, Benzalkonium chloride is generally considered safe for humans. However, exposure to high concentrations of the chemical can cause skin and eye irritation, respiratory issues, and even death in severe cases. It is important to follow safety precautions and proper handling procedures when using this chemical.

4. What should I do if I suspect Benzalkonium chloride has leaked into my basement floor?

If you suspect a leak of Benzalkonium chloride in your basement floor, it is important to take precautions to avoid exposure. Ventilate the area by opening windows and doors, and avoid direct contact with the chemical. It is also recommended to contact a professional to properly clean and dispose of the chemical.

5. How can I prevent Benzalkonium chloride leaks in the future?

To prevent Benzalkonium chloride leaks, it is important to properly store and handle products containing the chemical. Make sure to read and follow all instructions and safety precautions on the label. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain any pipes or drainage systems that may contain the chemical.

Back