Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Benzo-diazpene side effects

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1
    its a drug. what is it perscribed for. and what are the effects.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs that are GABA-A receptor agonists, thus they increase the inhibitory tone in the brain and bring about their effects of anti-anxiety, anticonvulsion, seizure control, muscle relaxation, etc. It is used for people with seizure disorders, insomnia, anxiety, sometimes for alcohol withdrawal symptoms, and as a pre-anesthetic agent. They are commonly known as "tranquilizers"; Valium and Xanax are two trade names.
  4. Feb 21, 2006 #3
    ooo. thanks.
  5. Feb 21, 2006 #4
    you seem to be interested a lot in pharmaceuticals i see. just remember this, almost any drug you put into your body is pretty much a foreign chemical and has side effects.
  6. Feb 21, 2006 #5
    im interested in pharmaceuticals for the moment. what im mostly trying to do with this knowledge; is 2 things.

first being the perfect narcotic. It has all the "wished" effects. but no side effects. You never get addicted and you never change your brain chemistry... etc

the second one. Im moreso a nightowl. I would rather sleep during the morning and be up at night. however. its pretty hard to see without light. and those big bulky expensive night vision things arent good. Now what if you could design a set of opsins that you could be placed in a small contact lense. then transfer to the electrical impulses. you could literally see any wavelength that the opsin designates.

Next i think ill study a sort of catalyst system that could be introduced into wounds to make healing faster, or at least more efficient.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?