1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Berkeley Grad Students

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    Any Berkeley grad students in maths here?

Just want to get your opinions on the following subjects,

Pros and cons?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2007 #2
    It greatly depends on who's teaching the course. Of those three 202A is the most basic. It's taken by about 50% undergraduates. My only experience with 205 is when Sarason taught it, and I did not enjoy it. It was hard, boring, and harshly graded. Unless you really like complex analysis, I wouldn't take it from him. 214 is a standard course in differnetial geometry with some Lie groups stuff. What do you actually want to know?
  4. Apr 7, 2007 #3
    Well I'm a undergraduate student at the moment, and I was thinking of taking 2/3 of those units mentioned above. I've definately decided on 202A and now I'm trying to decide between 214 and 205. Previously, I've enjoyed both complex analysis and differential topology.
  5. Apr 7, 2007 #4
    Who are you? I'm an undergraduate too.

Also, I really liked 185, but hated 205. It was totally technical stuff. For instance, we spend two weeks proving a bound on one of the coefficients of the taylor expansion of a holomorphic map. That's not my cup of tea.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?