Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Berkeley High Poised to Eliminate Science Classes Because They’re Too White

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    Berkeley High Poised to Eliminate Science Classes Because They’re Too “White”

SOURCE:
    http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/be...nt?oid=1536705

I am not sure if I fully understand this, the city that has a whole bunch of extremely gifted individuals in the science field, is cutting the science program so the minorities don't look stupid?

Can there please, please, please be a better reason for cutting the science program at BHS than dumbing down the system so the white kids are on par with the minorities.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Berkeley High Poised to Eliminate Science Classes Because They’re Too “White”

I'm not sure how the article you linked to came to the conclusion that race was involved (although, actually that was only the conclusion of one parent interviewed).

They're talking about eliminating extra lab time before school and after school. Years ago, the city passed a tax that funded the extra "optional" labs, plus some other extras intended to enhance the school's educational quality. Now, keeping the school open before classes and after classes is seen as too expensive. It is true that improving struggling students' performance was given higher priority than maintaining the best students performance in dealing with a stressed budget.

Over the years, the before-school and after-school labs became "mandatory" in order to maximumize a student's score in class. The after school labs conflict with sports, clubs, etc, so the more active students wind up having to come in before school starts.

If the extra lab time is cut, the classes will still have labs - just less lab time and during school hours, which leaves less time to take other classes, etc.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-06/bay-area/17470276_1_science-labs-parents-protest-regular-class [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    Re: Berkeley High Poised to Eliminate Science Classes Because They’re Too “White”

Ok, lovely. The way I read it was that they were cutting classes so all the "races" were on equal ground. Thanks for the correction!

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4

Probably had something to do with that "one parent" is on the council that made the decision.

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

Whoever came up with the name 'High School Redesign' is definitely a product of public education :biggrin:

7. Jan 15, 2010 #6

I'm guessing that science courses, like firefighters exams, are "rigged" in favor of white persons.

8. Jan 16, 2010 #7

If your community is predominately made up of stupid people who will never be scientist or mathematicians then why would you waste your scarce resources on these topics of minimal use to the vast majority of students? Seem very honest and very practical to me.

9. Jan 16, 2010 #8

Of course it might be far cheaper for the country as a whole to bring in fully educated immigrates with high skills/intelligence and not waste any money in a futile attempt to get high tech workers from stupid people (blood from a stone).

10. Jan 16, 2010 #9

Kind of a Darwinian survival of the fittest (and who says evolution has stopped for humans).

11. Jan 17, 2010 #10

We had that in high school. I hated that. You were suppossed to come in at seven AM twice a week for "lab" which was basically an extra hour of AP physics. Seven in the morning is not the best time to learn physics (this was before I was home schooled)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook