Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Berkeley Protesters Built a Human Wall

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    On the heels of 4 major universities offering racially segregated living areas, at the request of some students, some people decided that didn't go far enough. This[/PLAIN] [Broken] week at UC Berkley protesters decided to segregate the campus even more.

Welcome back Jim Crow, we didn't miss you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Thank you for the link.

I don't think this behaviour has much to do with progressivism. I would just call it "stupid".

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3
    I would call it stupid too, but the voices actually advocating for this in the mainstream are all from the left. Every one of the manifestos I read from those 2015 campus protests all called for racially segregated "safe spaces", and at their protests were chanting a quote from the Communist Manifesto ("we have nothing to lose but our chains"), I would say it very much does have a lot to do with progressivism. It's the inevitable consequence of Social Justice, in the humanities courses they are being told everyone around them is a racist, they are told they are victims of some evil conspiracy against their race, so is it really a surprise that eventually many would want to separate themselves from these evil white people?

5. Oct 27, 2016 #4
    That is a pretty broad brush.

6. Oct 27, 2016 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Oct 27, 2016 #6
    Let's be clear this is in a news event forum. We should stick to discussion about the event itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted