Berkeley Protesters Built a Human Wall

• News
  • Thread starter aquitaine
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

On the heels of 4 major universities offering racially segregated living areas, at the request of some students, some people decided that didn't go far enough. This[/PLAIN] [Broken] week at UC Berkley protesters decided to segregate the campus even more.

In the video, the activists appeared to let several students of color pass unmolested, but white students were forced to find other routes. A few who tried to force their way through were violently rebuffed. Protesters shouted "Go around! Go around!" at a white man on a bicycle.

Another student was told, "This is bigger than you," by a protester. "This is about whiteness."
Welcome back Jim Crow, we didn't miss you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes mheslep and S.G. Janssens

Answers and Replies

S.G. Janssens
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Thank you for the link.

I don't think this behaviour has much to do with progressivism. I would just call it "stupid".

Likes HossamCFD
Thank you for the link.

I don't think this behaviour has much to do with progressivism. I would just call it "stupid".
I would call it stupid too, but the voices actually advocating for this in the mainstream are all from the left. Every one of the manifestos I read from those 2015 campus protests all called for racially segregated "safe spaces", and at their protests were chanting a quote from the Communist Manifesto ("we have nothing to lose but our chains"), I would say it very much does have a lot to do with progressivism. It's the inevitable consequence of Social Justice, in the humanities courses they are being told everyone around them is a racist, they are told they are victims of some evil conspiracy against their race, so is it really a surprise that eventually many would want to separate themselves from these evil white people?

That is a pretty broad brush.

Let's be clear this is in a news event forum. We should stick to discussion about the event itself.