Solving Bernoulli Differential Equation: y'+2/x y=y^3/x^2

• Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a differential equation and using a substitution to make it linear. There is a discussion about the use of p(x) and q(x) and the correct way to find the integrating factor. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the correct solution for the differential equation being found.
suspenc3
[tex]y'+\frac{2}{x}y=\frac{y^3}{x^2}[/tex]

[tex]u=y^-^2[/tex]

so [tex]y'+(1-3)p(x)u=(1-3)q(x)[/tex]

[tex]y'-2(2x)u=-2y^3/x^2[/tex]

[tex]y'-4x/y^2=-2y^3/x^2[/tex]

integration factor is [tex]e^{{-2x}^2}[/tex]

is this right so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't follow your work, you make a substitution, but then it seems that you don't really use it because the next to last equation you have involves both u and y when making it should only involve one or the other not both. What are p(x) and q(x) you don't define them and it isn't obvious at all what they are.

When you have a differential equation like this you want to make the substitution that you did, but then you should divide the entire equation by the highest power of y that is present and then use the substitution so that you will get a linear first order differential equation in u, and then you can solve for the function u and use the substitution to find what y should be.EDIT: Oh I can see what you did now, but none of it is justified at all. When you make that substitution you need to use it. It seems as though you arbitrarily picked out functions to be p(x) and q(x) for no reason at all and just sort of attached u to the equation, you should have realized that this is wrong since you end up with an equation that is entirely different from the one you started with.

Last edited:
[tex]p(x)=2/x[/tex]

[tex]q(x)=1/x^2[/tex]

Ok, yeah there are no examples just the form of a Bernouill Equation so I don't really know what to do.

I don't see what the point of the sub [tex]u=y^{1-n}[/tex] is?

I know it is suppose to make it linear..I gueess mine is wrong though..that might be the reason haha
EDIT:wiki explains it better, I am going to go try it again

Last edited:
suspenc3 said:
I don't see what the point of the sub [tex]u=y^{1-n}[/tex] is?

I know it is suppose to make it linear..I gueess mine is wrong though..that might be the reason haha
EDIT:wiki explains it better, I am going to go try it again

Well you didn't really use the substitution initially you kind of just attached a u to the equation so that's why it didn't work.

ok i tried again let [tex]u=1/y^2[/tex]
[tex]y'y^{-3}+ \frac{2}{x}y^{-2} = \frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

[tex]du/dx - 4u/x = -2/x^2[/tex]

[tex]I(x)=e^{2 \int lnx} = x^2[/tex]

[tex]du/dx x^2 - 4xu = -2[/tex]

[tex]x^2u = \int-2[/tex]

[tex]x^2u=-2x+C[/tex]

[tex]u = -2/x + C/x^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{-2}{x}+\frac{C}{x^2}}} = y[/tex]

Last edited:
Your integrating factor is wrong. You should have integrated -4/x not 2/x. and then raised e to that power to get your integrating factor.

Riiiiight, Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the Bernoulli Differential Equation?

The Bernoulli Differential Equation is a type of first-order ordinary differential equation that can be written in the form y' + p(x)y = q(x)y^n, where p(x) and q(x) are continuous functions and n is a real number. It is named after Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli who studied this type of equation in the 18th century.

2. How do you solve a Bernoulli Differential Equation?

To solve a Bernoulli Differential Equation, the first step is to divide both sides of the equation by y^n. This will transform the equation into a linear differential equation, which can be solved using standard techniques. The solution can then be obtained by integrating both sides of the equation and solving for y.

3. What is the application of Bernoulli Differential Equation in science?

Bernoulli Differential Equations have many applications in science and engineering, particularly in modeling growth and decay processes. They are also used in fluid mechanics to describe the motion of a compressible fluid through a pipe with varying cross-sections.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a Bernoulli Differential Equation?

Yes, for example, let's solve the equation y' + 2/x y = y^3/x^2. First, we divide both sides by y^3 to get y^-3y' + 2/x y^-2 = 1/x^2. Then, we can substitute u = y^-2 to transform the equation into a linear form: u' + 2/x u = 1/x^2. Solving this linear equation gives us u = -x^-1 + C, which we can then substitute back to find the solution for y: y = (C - 1)^-1/2x.

5. Are there any special cases of Bernoulli Differential Equations?

Yes, there are two special cases of Bernoulli Differential Equations: when n = 0 and when n = 1. When n = 0, the equation becomes a linear differential equation and can be solved using standard techniques. When n = 1, the equation becomes a separable differential equation and can be solved by directly integrating both sides.