1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli-Change in Pressure

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    Bernoulli--Change in Pressure

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A venturi tube may be used as the inlet to an automobile carburetor. If the 2.0-cm diameter pipe narrows to a 1.0-cm diameter, what is the pressure drop in the constricted section for an airflow of 3.0 cm/s in the 2.0-cm section? ( = 1.2 kg/m3.)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\triangle P=\frac{1}{2}\rho\left(v_{1}^{2}-v_{2}^{2}\right)[/tex] (I knew how to derive this from Bernoulli's)

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]flow-rate=A_{1}v_{1}=\frac{1}{4}\pi d_{1}^{2}=\frac{1}{4}\pi\left(0.02m\right)^{2}\left(0.03\frac{m}{s}\right)=9.42\times10^{-6}\frac{m^{3}}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\triangle P=\frac{1}{2}\rho\left(v_{1}^{2}-v_{2}^{2}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(1.2\frac{kg}{m^{3}}\right)\left[\left(0.03\frac{m}{s}\right)^{2}-\left(0.12\frac{m}{s}\right)^{2}\right]=-8.1\times10^{-3}Pa[/tex]

All the answers were in Pascals, but somehow my answer was 1,000 times smaller! Since it was multiple-choice, I got the answer right anyways, but I'd like someone to point out where I went wrong. Thanks!

btw, what symbol should I use for the flow rate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Re: Bernoulli--Change in Pressure

What did you get for the correct answer?

Note: that your equation should be V2^2 - V1^2 and not V1^2-V2^2...

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3

Correct answer was 81 Pa. So my answer is actually 10,000 times smaller.

Thanks. I correct that.
  5. Jan 21, 2010 #4

Anymore help out there? :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook