Bernoulli's Equation for Pressure Drop in a Constricted Venturi Tube

• Thread starter wrongusername
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a venturi tube as the inlet to an automobile carburetor and the pressure drop in the constricted section for a given airflow. The correct answer is 81 Pa, while the student's calculation resulted in -8.1 × 10^-3 Pa due to a small error in the equation used.
wrongusername
Bernoulli--Change in Pressure

Homework Statement

A venturi tube may be used as the inlet to an automobile carburetor. If the 2.0-cm diameter pipe narrows to a 1.0-cm diameter, what is the pressure drop in the constricted section for an airflow of 3.0 cm/s in the 2.0-cm section? ( = 1.2 kg/m3.)

Homework Equations

[tex]A_{1}v_{1}=A_{2}v_{2}=flow-rate[/tex]

[tex]\triangle P=\frac{1}{2}\rho\left(v_{1}^{2}-v_{2}^{2}\right)[/tex] (I knew how to derive this from Bernoulli's)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]flow-rate=A_{1}v_{1}=\frac{1}{4}\pi d_{1}^{2}=\frac{1}{4}\pi\left(0.02m\right)^{2}\left(0.03\frac{m}{s}\right)=9.42\times10^{-6}\frac{m^{3}}{s}[/tex]

[tex]v_{2}=\frac{flow-rate}{A_{2}}=\frac{9.42\times10^{-6}\frac{m^{3}}{s}}{\frac{1}{4}\pi\left(0.01m\right)^{2}}=0.12\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\triangle P=\frac{1}{2}\rho\left(v_{1}^{2}-v_{2}^{2}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(1.2\frac{kg}{m^{3}}\right)\left[\left(0.03\frac{m}{s}\right)^{2}-\left(0.12\frac{m}{s}\right)^{2}\right]=-8.1\times10^{-3}Pa[/tex]

All the answers were in Pascals, but somehow my answer was 1,000 times smaller! Since it was multiple-choice, I got the answer right anyways, but I'd like someone to point out where I went wrong. Thanks!

btw, what symbol should I use for the flow rate?

Physics news on Phys.org

wrongusername said:

Homework Statement

A venturi tube may be used as the inlet to an automobile carburetor. If the 2.0-cm diameter pipe narrows to a 1.0-cm diameter, what is the pressure drop in the constricted section for an airflow of 3.0 cm/s in the 2.0-cm section? ( = 1.2 kg/m3.)

Homework Equations

[tex]A_{1}v_{1}=A_{2}v_{2}=flow-rate[/tex]

[tex]\triangle P=\frac{1}{2}\rho\left(v_{1}^{2}-v_{2}^{2}\right)[/tex] (I knew how to derive this from Bernoulli's)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]flow-rate=A_{1}v_{1}=\frac{1}{4}\pi d_{1}^{2}=\frac{1}{4}\pi\left(0.02m\right)^{2}\left(0.03\frac{m}{s}\right)=9.42\times10^{-6}\frac{m^{3}}{s}[/tex]

[tex]v_{2}=\frac{flow-rate}{A_{2}}=\frac{9.42\times10^{-6}\frac{m^{3}}{s}}{\frac{1}{4}\pi\left(0.01m\right)^{2}}=0.12\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\triangle P=\frac{1}{2}\rho\left(v_{1}^{2}-v_{2}^{2}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(1.2\frac{kg}{m^{3}}\right)\left[\left(0.03\frac{m}{s}\right)^{2}-\left(0.12\frac{m}{s}\right)^{2}\right]=-8.1\times10^{-3}Pa[/tex]

All the answers were in Pascals, but somehow my answer was 1,000 times smaller! Since it was multiple-choice, I got the answer right anyways, but I'd like someone to point out where I went wrong. Thanks!

btw, what symbol should I use for the flow rate?

What did you get for the correct answer?

Note: that your equation should be V2^2 - V1^2 and not V1^2-V2^2...

CS

stewartcs said:
What did you get for the correct answer?

Note: that your equation should be V2^2 - V1^2 and not V1^2-V2^2...

CS

Correct answer was 81 Pa. So my answer is actually 10,000 times smaller.

Thanks. I correct that.

Anymore help out there? :smile:

What is the Bernoulli Principle?

The Bernoulli Principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is used to explain the lift force on an airplane wing and the flow of fluids through pipes and other channels.

How does a change in velocity affect pressure according to the Bernoulli Principle?

A change in velocity directly affects pressure according to the Bernoulli Principle. As the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa. This is because as the fluid moves faster, the molecules are spread out and exert less force on the walls of the container, resulting in a lower pressure.

What factors influence the change in pressure according to the Bernoulli Principle?

The change in pressure according to the Bernoulli Principle is influenced by several factors, including the velocity of the fluid, the density of the fluid, and the shape and size of the channel through which the fluid is flowing. The type of fluid and any external forces acting on it can also affect the change in pressure.

How is the Bernoulli Principle applied in real-life situations?

The Bernoulli Principle is applied in many real-life situations, including in the design of airplane wings, the flow of water through pipes, and the operation of carburetors in engines. It is also used in medical devices such as inhalers and nebulizers to create a fine mist for easier inhalation.

What are some common misconceptions about the Bernoulli Principle?

One common misconception about the Bernoulli Principle is that it explains the lift force on airplane wings solely due to the shape of the wing. In reality, the shape of the wing is just one factor that contributes to lift, and the Bernoulli Principle only explains a small portion of this force. Another misconception is that the Bernoulli Principle can explain the flight of birds or insects, when in fact, their flight is much more complex and cannot be fully explained by this principle alone.