Bernoulli/Continuity, Water flowing at different heights/radii

• Thread starter mknob001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the problem involves an ideal fluid flowing through a pipe with known pressures and radii at unknown heights. The equations used include Bernoulli's equation and A1V1 = A2V2. However, the lack of information regarding the height difference prevents the problem from being solved. Once the height difference is known, the problem can be easily solved.
mknob001

Homework Statement

Water flows in the pipe below as an ideal fluid where:
P1 = 1.95*10^5 Pa ; Rad @ P1 = 3cm
P2 = 1.20*10^5 Pa ; Rad @ P2 = 1.50 cm
P2 is above P1, but the height difference is UNKNOWN.

Questions:
1. What are the velocities at P1 and P2?
2. Find volume flow rate through the pipe.

I don't have a diagram, but it's pretty simple - known pressures with known radii at UNKNOWN heights.

Homework Equations

P1 = P2 + dgh -- doesn't this assume the areas are the same? (which they aren't)
Bernoulli's.
A1V1 = A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I used A1V1 = A2V2 to solve the ratio between V1 and V2 (since rad can be used to find A) and solved for v1.

2. I substituted answer for v1 into v1 of bernoulli's equation. This way I can get v2.
BUT, I can't solve Bernoulli's eq. without knowing the heights, h1 and h2.

3. I though P1 - P2 = dgh could work, but I thought this was only for change in height with the same area. Am I wrong?

Help would be much appreciated. I'm so stuck on this whole different areas/heights/pressures thing and my brain is shutting down a bit from the frustration. Haha help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes people us a capital P to represent the sum of the pressure p (lower case) plus ρgz:

P = p + ρgz

Is it possible that that is the case here? Even then, you still need to know the density in order to get the kinetic energy per unit volume.

thanks for responding -- sorry that i used dgh, it's just what my teacher uses

Anyway, I don't think so, she definitely means p1 and p2 being the pressure at the bottom and top of the pipe. And we're allowed to use d = 1000 kg/m3 for water so I know the density. I'm just not sure if I can solve for the height (z) with the information given.

I'm thinking that she needs to give us that in order to solve it.

I found a problem that uses the same diagram and all the same information, except this one has a height difference given:
q1376760"]http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/water-moves-constricted-pipe-steady-ideal-flow-lower-point-pressure-171-105-pa-pipe-radius-q1376760
[/URL]

I'm guessing this is why I can't solve this, but is there something I'm missing?

I agree with you. You need to know the height difference.

Chet

Thanks, once I know that this problem will be pretty easy. Thanks!

What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid (such as water) increases, its pressure decreases. This is because the total energy of the fluid - consisting of potential, kinetic, and pressure energy - remains constant.

How does Bernoulli's principle relate to fluid continuity?

Bernoulli's principle is closely related to the principle of fluid continuity, which states that the rate of flow of a fluid must remain constant at any given point in a pipe or channel. This means that as the speed of a fluid increases due to Bernoulli's principle, the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel must decrease in order to maintain a constant flow rate.

How does water flow at different heights?

Water flows at different heights due to the force of gravity. As water flows downhill, it gains potential energy and its speed increases, in accordance with Bernoulli's principle. However, as the water moves to a higher elevation, it loses potential energy and its speed decreases, causing the pressure to increase.

What is the relationship between water flow and pipe radius?

According to Bernoulli's principle and the principle of fluid continuity, the speed of water flowing through a pipe is inversely proportional to the radius of the pipe. This means that as the pipe radius decreases, the speed of the water increases, and vice versa.

Why is it important to understand Bernoulli's principle and fluid continuity when studying water flow?

Understanding Bernoulli's principle and fluid continuity is crucial for many engineering and scientific applications involving water flow. This knowledge allows us to predict and control the behavior of water in pipes, channels, and other systems, and is essential for designing efficient and safe water distribution systems.