How can the Bernoulli Equation be applied to solve a challenging problem?

In summary, the conversation starts with a new member expressing their appreciation for the helpfulness of the forum and requesting assistance with a problem they have been struggling with. Another member thanks them for their viewership and suggests using the Bernoulli Equation to solve the problem. The original poster then shares their attempt at a solution, including equations (a) and (b) for conservation of volume and discharge, and asks for help with the rest of the problem. Another member suggests using the fact that the flow is well-behaved to find the velocity at point x=b. The original poster expresses gratitude for the help and apologizes for any ignorance of the forum rules.
RGG
Hey everyone ! I'm new here and found that this forum was very useful. Would really appreciate it if you could help me out with this problem ! Have been scratching my head for hours now :(

Question:
upload_2015-2-11_22-11-19.png

upload_2015-2-11_22-12-20.png

Thank you very very much once again !

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-11_22-10-25.png
    upload_2015-2-11_22-10-25.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
The (a) part can be solved by conserving volume of the liquid . (Think about rate of change of volume !)

heya, A was okay actually. The main problems I have are with B onwards !

Thank you for your viewership :)

Okay, so I was told that my homework request was an unreasonable one and hence, I have looked through the forum rules. I shall abide by them ! So sorry for being ignorant.

Homework Statement

See Above

Homework Equations

Bernoulli Equation: V2/2g + p/dg + z = constant
V = velocity of particles flowing through that point of the streamline
g = acceleration due to gravity
p = pressure at that point of the streamline
d = density
z = elevation at that point of the streamline

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) V = H0B = bh + (B-b)H
H=(BH0-bh)/(B-b)

(b) By conservation of volume,
Discharge, Q = W.Ab = Ub.Af
Q = W.b = Ub.h

Therefore, Ub = bW/h

(c) Since gap-averaged flow from x=0 to x=b is a well-behaved flow, dU(x)/dx = 0

(d)
At point x=b: Ub/2g + dg(H-h)/dg + h = constant

From here, I'm really not too sure how to proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you !

What is the Bernoulli Equation Problem?

The Bernoulli Equation Problem is a mathematical concept that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in a closed system. It is named after the Swiss mathematician, Daniel Bernoulli, who first described it in the 18th century.

What are the variables involved in the Bernoulli Equation?

The variables involved in the Bernoulli Equation are pressure, velocity, and height. These variables are represented by the letters P, v, and h, respectively. Other factors such as density and gravitational acceleration may also be included in the equation.

What is the significance of the Bernoulli Equation in science?

The Bernoulli Equation is significant in science because it helps in understanding the behavior of fluids in closed systems. It is widely used in fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and fluid mechanics to analyze the flow of fluids and predict their behavior in different situations.

What is the formula for the Bernoulli Equation?

The formula for the Bernoulli Equation can be written as P + (1/2)ρv² + ρgh = constant, where P is pressure, ρ is density, v is velocity, g is gravitational acceleration, and h is height. This formula is based on the principle of conservation of energy, stating that the total energy in a system remains constant.

How is the Bernoulli Equation applied in real-life situations?

The Bernoulli Equation is applied in various real-life situations, such as designing aircraft wings, calculating water flow in pipes, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pumps and turbines. It is also used in weather forecasting, understanding ocean currents, and designing ventilation systems in buildings.