Understanding the Bernoulli Equation: Solving a Fluid Dynamics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the Bernoulli equation and other fluid mechanics equations. The problem involves a fluid moving through a hopper and the questions ask for the time needed for a certain volume of fluid to cross and the diameter of the narrow section of the hopper. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem, including assumptions about pressure and the role of air pressure, and confusion about whether pressure should be considered at certain points.
JulienB
Hi everybody! I'm training for an upcoming exam, and I'd like to know if I correctly use the Bernoulli equation.

Homework Statement

The problem is kind of difficult to describe without a drawing, please check out the attached jpg to see the situation and the known data.
The questions are:
a) How much time t is needed for a volume V = 1L of fluid to cross the hopper?
b) What is the diameter of d2?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation, equation of continuity, formulas to calculate the flux of a fluid

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I use the Bernoulli equation at points (1) and (0):

P1 + ρgh1 + ½ρv12 = P0 + ρgh0 + ½ρv02

Now I think that P1 = 0 (if we take the gauge pressure), ½ρv12 ≈ 0 (because the diameter at point (1) is much larger than at point (0) (equation of continuity)) and ρgh0 = 0 (because I choose h0 = 0).

What I am not sure of is that I assume P0 = 0 because the fluid is not being stopped at that point, so it should have no pressure. Is that correct? If so, here is where that takes me:

ρgh1 = ½ρv02
v0 = √(2gh1)

We can then use the flux to determine the time it takes for a litre of fluid to cross the hopper:

R = V/t = A0 ⋅ v0
⇒ t = V/(¼ ⋅ π ⋅ d02 ⋅ √(2⋅g⋅h1)) = 23.5 s

b) I use the Bernoulli equation again at points (0) and (2).

P0 + ρgh0 + ½ρv02 = P2 + ρgh2 + ½ρv22

I assume P0 = 0 and P2 = 0 for the same reason as before (is that right?) and ρgh2 = 0 (because I now choose h2 = 0)

⇒ v2 = √(v02 + 2⋅g⋅h0)

The equation of continuity says A0 ⋅ v0 = A1 ⋅ v1
⇒ A2 = A0 ⋅ v0/v2
⇒ r = 1.5 mm
d2 = 3 mmMy results are plausible, but I am unsure about how to deal with the pressure when there is a flow. Is there no pressure on the right side of the equation when there is a flow? Is that always the case?Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Attachments

• Mechanik Übung (1).png
    Mechanik Übung (1).png
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,343
Physics news on Phys.org
you didn't have to assume Po = 0 because it is the fact.

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm still unclear about how is that a fact: does pressure only apply in a "closed" container? Anytime there is a hole or some sort of opening at the bottom of the container (or at a point we are interested in), there is never pressure because the water flows?Julien.

In your case, the water flows but it is not at steady state. Static pressure only exists when liquid is steady. Assume that i haven't talked about this, only base on logic, how do you manage to solve this because Po = P1 + pGH1 => V2 = 0.

The Vinh said:
you didn't have to assume Po = 0 because it is the fact.
No, you should not assume P0 is 0 because it won't be!
The Vinh said:
In your case, the water flows but it is not at steady state. Static pressure only exists when liquid is steady.
The state only changes relatively slowly (since d1>>d0). That means acceleration is negligible, so the usual equations can be used to find the velocity as a function of head height. Only then do we need to consider that head height, and therefore v, change over time.

@JulienB, allow P0 to be nonzero and consider the flow in the narrow section.

haruspex said:
No, you should not assume P0 is 0 because it won't be!

The state only changes relatively slowly (since d1>>d0). That means acceleration is negligible, so the usual equations can be used to find the velocity as a function of head height. Only then do we need to consider that head height, and therefore v, change over time.

@JulienB, allow P0 to be nonzero and consider the flow in the narrow section.
Oh, you win, i have made a huge mistake

JulienB, i think that i have found the problem and here it is : P1 + pGH1 = P0 + 0,5pV^2 ( P1 = P0 = P air ) => pGH1 = 0,5pV^2 ( it still the same but P1 = P0 = P air)
I forgot about air pressure
I hope that it is right

The Vinh said:
JulienB, i think that i have found the problem and here it is : P1 + pGH1 = P0 + 0,5pV^2 ( P1 = P0 = P air ) => pGH1 = 0,5pV^2 ( it still the same but P1 = P0 = P air)
I forgot about air pressure
I hope that it is right
No, it is not to do with air pressure. P0 > P1. Why do you think they should be equal?

haruspex said:
No, it is not to do with air pressure. P0 > P1. Why do you think they should be equal?
it always exists air pressure and i knew that Po = P1 + pGH but if i had really done it then the formula would have been like this: Po = Po + 0,5pV^2 then V = 0 , it is so confusing, huh.

Hi everyone and thank you for your answers. It is a bit confusing though :)

@haruspex I don't get why you're stating that P1 ≠ 0. If we consider gauge pressure (that is, ignoring air pressure), what other factors may cause a pressure at P1? Maybe I am wrong, but if so I would like to understand why.

Thank you very much again.Julien.

@haruspex What precisely confuses me, is that I have understood that for example in the case of a side hole on a recipient we should consider P = 0 at that exit. In th case of the present problem, the "hole" is located underneath the fluid. Is that why we should consider the pressure not being 0 for P0? It is kind of unlogical to me that the pressure of the water matters when it can move away, but if you say so I'm ready to believe :)

JulienB said:
@haruspex What precisely confuses me, is that I have understood that for example in the case of a side hole on a recipient we should consider P = 0 at that exit. In th case of the present problem, the "hole" is located underneath the fluid. Is that why we should consider the pressure not being 0 for P0? It is kind of unlogical to me that the pressure of the water matters when it can move away, but if you say so I'm ready to believe :)
Consider the linear velocity of the water in the two sections of pipe. Are they the same? If not, which is greater, and what can account for the acceleration?

@haruspex Well the equation of continuity (A1⋅v1 = A0⋅v0) states that the water flows faster by the smallest opening (point (0)). And I guess that that is happening because of a greater pressure at that point? Now the formulas I know for pressure are P = F/A or for an submerged object P = ρgh (probably irrelevant here). Is there another one I don't know, or am I missing something important? I can't say much about the force applying on the fluid at that point.

JulienB said:
Well the equation of continuity (A1⋅v1 = A0⋅v0) states that the water flows faster by the smallest opening (point (0)). And I guess that that is happening because of a greater pressure at that point?
Exactly. So, as I suggested in post #5, apply the Bernoulli equation to the flow in the narrow section.

As I see it, the pressure at point 2 is atmospheric and the pressure at the very top of the hopper is atmospheric. So, from Bernoulli, $$v_2=\sqrt{2g(h_1+h_2)}=\sqrt{2g(0.115+0.026)}=1.66m/s$$
This means that the pressure immediately below point 0 (just below the convergence) is sub-atmospheric. The gauge pressure there would just be ##-\rho g h_2=-\rho g(0.026)##. It seems that there would be a jump change in pressure from just above point 0 to just below point 0, with the pressure above being higher than the pressure below. But, the question is, "how much higher?" It seems to me there is not enough information provided to solve this problem without knowing d2.

Chet

Last edited:
@haruspex so I took P0 = -ρgh1 -a little out of despair, I must admit- and got that result:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,857
Oops the "2" in the last square root should obviously not be there, but the result was obtained without including it in the calculations. With that t I now get for next question d2 ≈ 2.5 mm.

I'm very skeptical about my negative pressure though :/

Last edited:
@Chestermiller Are you saying that the gauge pressure just below point (0) is -pgh2? I'm afraid I don't really understand why: I thought the pressure at point (0) would be depending on the height of the fluid above that point (h1) and fail to see the connection with h2.

Here is a more fleshed out analysis of my discussion in post #15.

Let z = h1= elevation of top surface of liquid in hopper
Let z = 0+ = elevation of top of short diameter convergence
Let z = 0- = elevation of bottom of short diameter convergence
Let z = - h2 = exit elevation

Bernoulli term at each location:

##z = h_1##: $$0 + \rho g h_1 + 0$$
##z=0^+##:$$p^++0+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_0^2$$
##z=0^-##:$$p^-+0+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2$$
##z=-h_2##:$$0-\rho g h_2+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2$$

All the above Bernoulli terms must be equal to one another.

In addition, the velocities in the two tubular sections must satisfy:
$$v_0d_0^2=v_2d_2^2$$

These equations cannot be solved unless we know d2.

JulienB said:
@Chestermiller Are you saying that the gauge pressure just below point (0) is -pgh2? I'm afraid I don't really understand why: I thought the pressure at point (0) would be depending on the height of the fluid above that point (h1) and fail to see the connection with h2.
See my post #19 for more details. If you can find something wrong with that, please point it out. Setting the Bernoulli terms at the lowest two elevations equal to one another clearly produces this result.

@Chestermiller I see what you are saying. However, we solved that problem in my physics class, although I don't have the solution sheet anymore. I will ask other students if they still have it, and meanwhile I will try again to solve it myself.

@haruspex What do you think about what Chestermiller said. Do you agree?

Thank you both of us for your answers. :)

Chestermiller said:
. It seems that there would be a jump change in pressure from just above point 0 to just below point 0, with the pressure above being higher than the pressure below. But, the question is, "how much higher?" It seems to me there is not enough information provided to solve this problem without knowing d2.

Chet
The question asks to find d2, but clearly there is insufficient information because one could just make d2 smaller and no given information would be contradicted. So my guess is that there is, or was intended to be, some other piece of information provided.

JulienB said:
If I use the first and third points (as you allude to), I obtain:

$$p^-=\rho g h_1-\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2$$not just ##\rho g h_1##
If I use the first and 2nd points, I obtain:$$p^+=\rho g h_1-\frac{1}{2}\rho v_0^2$$again, not just ##\rho g h_1##.

haruspex said:
The question asks to find d2, but clearly there is insufficient information because one could just make d2 smaller and no given information would be contradicted. So my guess is that there is, or was intended to be, some other piece of information provided.
I think the person who formulated the problem just messed up and was confused, and then transmitted this incorrect analysis to the class.

Chet

I checked and I didn't omit any information from the problem... Sorry for wasting your time on an unsolvable problem! :(

And thank you for your answers, it did help me very much to comprehend better the Bernoulli equation and the pressure at different points of a fluid.

Julien.

JulienB said:
I checked and I didn't omit any information from the problem... Sorry for wasting your time on an unsolvable problem! :(

And thank you for your answers, it did help me very much to comprehend better the Bernoulli equation and the pressure at different points of a fluid.

Julien.
You have nothing to apologize for. I think many members learned lots of good stuff from this thread. We should be thanking you.

1. What is the Bernoulli equation problem?

The Bernoulli equation problem is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in a closed system. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is commonly used in fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and other fields of science and engineering.

2. How is the Bernoulli equation problem used in real-life situations?

The Bernoulli equation problem is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as in the design of airplane wings, water turbines, and carburetors. It is also used in analyzing blood flow in the human body and in understanding weather patterns.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Bernoulli equation problem?

The Bernoulli equation problem makes several assumptions, including that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and there is no friction or viscosity present. It also assumes that the fluid is non-rotational, meaning that there is no swirling or eddying motion.

4. Can the Bernoulli equation problem be applied to all types of fluids?

The Bernoulli equation problem can be applied to all types of fluids, as long as the assumptions are met. However, it is most commonly used for incompressible fluids, such as water or air, and may not be as accurate for compressible fluids, such as gases.

5. What are some limitations of the Bernoulli equation problem?

One limitation of the Bernoulli equation problem is that it does not take into account the effects of turbulence, which can be present in real-life situations. It also does not consider the effects of external forces, such as gravity or external pressure. Additionally, the assumptions made in the equation may not always hold true in practical applications, leading to some inaccuracies.