Estimating p with Bernoulli Sample

• Thread starter chicory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli
In summary, a method of moments estimator of p for a Bernoulli random sample with known 0=< p =<0.5 is to take the estimator of P =(sum Xi )/n if sum Xi /n < 0.5, otherwise use the estimator of p = Max (0.5*n , Sum Xi) /n. This adjustment makes the value p=0.5 more common and improves the accuracy of the estimation.
chicory
A Bernoulli random sample :

X=1 , Pr(X=1)=p;
X=0 , Pr(X=0)=1-p;

taken X1, ..., Xn

and if it is known that 0=< p =<0.5

find a method of moments estimator of p

If I just take estimator of P =(sum Xi )/n than the estimate p may be bigger than 0.5 as in extreme case all Xi =1 .
What should I do , take estimator of p = Max (0.5*n , Sum Xi) /n ?

Physics news on Phys.org
chicory said:
A Bernoulli random sample :

X=1 , Pr(X=1)=p;
X=0 , Pr(X=0)=1-p;

taken X1, ..., Xn

and if it is known that 0=< p =<0.5

find a method of moments estimator of p

If I just take estimator of P =(sum Xi )/n than the estimate p may be bigger than 0.5 as in extreme case all Xi =1 .
What should I do , take estimator of p = Max (0.5*n , Sum Xi) /n ?

Just simply state that fact, that is

P= sum Xi /n if sum Xi /n < 0.5
P= 0.5 otherwise.

But... is it too artificial?
Pr( estimator (p) = 0.5 ) is slightly bigger ...?

Artificial? You like better min( sum Xi/n, 0.5) ?

No, p will not be generally bigger and you will rarely get estimations of 0.7 or 0.8, remember that they already assure you that the real p is no higher than 0.5

Adjusting the estimation makes the value p=0.5 more common but that is irrelevant and only makes the estimation more accurate.

Last edited:
Thank you so much !

You're welcome :smile:

1. What is "p" in the context of Bernoulli Sample?

In Bernoulli Sample, "p" represents the probability of a success in a single trial. Success and failure are the only possible outcomes in a Bernoulli trial, with a probability of p and 1-p respectively.

2. How do you estimate "p" in Bernoulli Sample?

To estimate "p" in Bernoulli Sample, you would take a sample of trials and calculate the proportion of successes in that sample. This proportion can then be used as an estimate for "p" in the larger population.

3. What is the difference between "p" and "p-hat" in Bernoulli Sample?

"p" represents the true probability of success in a Bernoulli trial, while "p-hat" represents the estimated probability of success based on a sample of trials. "p-hat" is often used in hypothesis testing to make conclusions about the true value of "p".

4. How large should my sample size be to accurately estimate "p" in Bernoulli Sample?

The sample size needed to accurately estimate "p" in Bernoulli Sample depends on the desired level of precision and confidence. A larger sample size will result in a more accurate estimate of "p", but it may not be feasible or necessary to have a very large sample size.

5. Can "p" be greater than 1 or less than 0 in Bernoulli Sample?

No, "p" represents a probability and therefore must fall between 0 and 1. A probability greater than 1 or less than 0 is not possible in Bernoulli Sample.