Solving Bernoulli ODE | Step-by-Step Guide | Example with n=-2

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Bernoulli ODE and using an integrating factor to find the solution. The speaker made a mistake in their calculations, leading to a discrepancy with the solution in the book.
cue928
I am working on the following Bernoulli ODE: 3xy^2 y' = 3x^4 + y^3. I come up with n = -2, so v = y^3 and y' = (1/3)v^(-2/3) v'. My integrating factor was x^-1. I end up with y^3 = X^2 + Cx yet the book has the same thing except X^4 instead of X^2. That makes me think I'm going wrong with multiplying it through but I don't see where.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cue928! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
cue928 said:
My integrating factor was x^-1. I end up with y^3 = X^2 + Cx yet the book has the same thing except X^4 instead of X^2.

it should have worked :confused:

show us how you got the x2

It was right, I just made a stupid mistake that led me to think it was something bigger than what it really was.

What is Bernoulli's ODE equation?

Bernoulli's ODE equation is a type of differential equation that is in the form y' + p(x)y = q(x)y^n, where n is a constant. It was developed by mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century.

What is the difference between Bernoulli's ODE and other types of differential equations?

Bernoulli's ODE is unique in that it involves a variable power, n, which can be any constant value. This makes it more difficult to solve compared to other types of differential equations.

What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's ODE?

Bernoulli's ODE has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and the flow of fluids.

How do you solve a Bernoulli ODE?

To solve a Bernoulli ODE, the first step is to identify the values of p(x), q(x), and n. Then, use a substitution method to transform the equation into a linear ODE, which can be solved using standard techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

What are some common mistakes when solving a Bernoulli ODE?

One common mistake is forgetting to properly substitute the variable for n when transforming the equation into a linear ODE. Another mistake is not correctly identifying the values of p(x) and q(x). It is also important to double-check the solution and make sure it satisfies the original equation.