Solving Bernoulli Problem: Find Water Tank Height

• Thread starter Redstar2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a water tank with two holes at different heights. The person asking for help believes that Bernoulli's equation and conservation of energy are relevant but is unsure of how to find the necessary variables. Another person provides a detailed explanation of Bernoulli's equation and how it can be used to find the velocity of water coming out of the holes. They also explain the conditions that must be met for Bernoulli's equation to apply. The person asking for help expresses their understanding and asks for clarification on how to represent the depths of the holes relative to the water surface.
Redstar2
Hey guys, I've got a pressure problem that I've been stuck on for a while now and was just wondering if somebody could give me some guidance in solving it. The problem is as follows:

"A water tank open to the atmosphere at the top has two small holes punched in its side, one above the other. The holes 2.08 cm and 14.7 cm above the ground.
What is the height of the water in the tank if the two streams of water hit the ground at the same place? Answer in units of cm."

I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with Bernoulli's equation and the conservation of energy but I don't know how to find the variables needed.

Any help would very much appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Right...so can anyone put that into terms that I can understand? :P

Fair response. Most of those are a bit obscure!

[rant mode]
Bernoulli is more complex than most other things taught at the same time. To make it worse it is usually explained in a way that is technically correct but does not bring out its essentials. Thus many students never fully understand it; some become textbook writers and go on to bamboozle later generations of students. Many examples of Bernoulli in textbooks depend on other effects and this causes further confusion.
[\rant mode]

Bernoulli is essentially a statement of conservation of energy in a dynamic fluid. It is expressed as "energy per unit volume" for:

• Gravitational potential energy, GPE
  • Kinetic energy, KE
  • Pressure energy
The first two are familiar from mechanics where they are mgh and ½mv^2. The third is simply pressure P.

Fluid dynamics is a gruesomely complex part of Physics. Bernoulli simplifies it by imposing several conditions; if these are not met (or not nearly enough met) Bernoulli cannot be used.

For Bernoulli to apply:
  • Streamline flow (no turbulence)
  • Constant density (no compression)
  • Steady state (no transients, unchanging with time)
  • Lossless (no friction)
Under these conditions a tiny volume of fluid entering the system goes through various changes of height, velocity and pressure; its energy content does not change. Expressed mathematically:

[tex]{\rho}gh +0.5{\rho}v^2 + p = k[/tex]
where [itex]\rho[/itex] is density, p is pressure and k is the total energy per unity volume.

Often Bernoulli is used to compare the state of the fluid in two places, as in this problem. The value of k is irrelevant and a more useful Bernoulli equation is.
[tex]{\rho}gh_1 + 0.5{\rho}v_{1}^2 + p_1 = {\rho}gh_2 + 0.5{\rho}v_{2}^2 + p_2 [/tex]

To find the velocity of water coming out of a hole, consider two points on a streamline flow from the surface of the water (1) to just outside the hole (2).

• GPE: using point 2 as datum (h = 0), GPE(1) is ρgh and GPE(2) is 0.
  • KE: KE(1) is 0 (the movement is negligable); KE(2) is ½ρv^2.
  • Pressure: at points 1 and 2 the pressure is atmospheric.
Using the second form of Bernoulli's equation:
[tex]{\rho}gh_1 + 0.5{\rho}v_{1}^2 + p_1 = {\rho}gh_2 + 0.5{\rho}v_{2}^2 + p_2 [/tex]
[tex]{\rho}gh_1 + 0.5{\rho}0^2 + atmospheric = {\rho}g0 + 0.5{\rho}v_{2}^2 + atmospheric [/tex]
Subtracting atmospheric pressure from both sides, removing the zero terms and dividing by [itex]\rho[/itex]
[tex]gh_1 = 0.5v_{2}^2[/tex]

So now you can use the depths of the holes to find the velocity of the water coming out of them ...

Last edited:
I understand much better now, thanks for the input!

However, I have a question pertaining to the depths of the holes. How would I correctly represent them relative to the surface of the water rather than the ground?

What is the Bernoulli equation?

The Bernoulli equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at a given point.

How do you use the Bernoulli equation to solve for water tank height?

The Bernoulli equation can be used to solve for water tank height by equating the pressure and velocity at the top and bottom of the tank, and using the density of water to solve for the height.

What are the assumptions made when using the Bernoulli equation to solve for water tank height?

The assumptions made when using the Bernoulli equation include a steady flow, incompressible fluid, and no energy losses due to friction or other factors.

What are some common applications of the Bernoulli equation?

The Bernoulli equation is commonly used in fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and hydraulics to solve for various parameters such as flow rate, pressure, and velocity.

What are some potential sources of error when using the Bernoulli equation to solve for water tank height?

Potential sources of error when using the Bernoulli equation include inaccuracies in measurements, assumptions that do not hold true in real-world situations, and neglecting energy losses due to friction or other factors.