Solve Bernoulli Problem: Velocity of Water Outlet

• Thread starter Sall1230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli
In summary, the problem involves a water-filled vertical pipe with cross-sectional area 25 cm^2 open at the top and an outlet with cross-sectional area 15 cm^2 at a depth of 10 m from the top. The velocity of the water exiting from the outlet can be found by using the continuity equation A1v1 = A2v2 and the Bernoulli equation P1 + ρgh1 + 0.5ρv1^2 = P2 + ρgh2 + 0.5ρv2^2. The velocity v1 cannot be assumed to be 0 in this case. After some algebraic manipulation, a relationship between v1 and v2 can be found, allowing
Sall1230

Homework Statement

" A water filled verticle pipe of cross section area 25 cm^2 is open at the top. If an outlet of cross section area 15 cm^2 is made on it's side at a depth of 10 m from the level of the water at the top, then the velocity of the water exiting from the outlet is?

Homework Equations

" P1 + ρgh1 + 0.5 ρv1^2 = P2 + ρgh2 + 0.5 ρv2^2 .

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so what made me more confused is that v1 doesn't equal 0 because I was about to use this equation : √2gh

Then I tried to find both of v1 and v2 with the equation of A1 v1 = A2 v2 and I got this " v2 = 1.667 v1" which didn't help much because it is already obvious that the velocity will increase since the area is smaller.

After that I started cancelling some of the equation ( the one in brackets are canceled ) :

(Patm)+ ρgh1 + 0.5 ρv1^2 = (Patm) + (ρgh2) + 0.5 ρv2^2

And I tried to plug in numbers :
1000 • 9.8 • 10 + 0.5 • 1000 v1^2 = 0.5 • 1000 v2^2
98000 + 500 v1^2 = 500 v2^2

And I was left blank. So I'm now thinking whether the cross section area has anything to do with the pressure... But yeah that was my tries .

Physics news on Phys.org
Sall1230 said:

Homework Statement

" A water filled verticle pipe of cross section area 25 cm^2 is open at the top. If an outlet of cross section area 15 cm^2 is made on it's side at a depth of 10 m from the level of the water at the top, then the velocity of the water exiting from the outlet is?

Homework Equations

" P1 + ρgh1 + 0.5 ρv1^2 = P2 + ρgh2 + 0.5 ρv2^2 .

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so what made me more confused is that v1 doesn't equal 0 because I was about to use this equation : √2gh

v1 = 0 only when you are dealing with something like a reservoir, where the change in the volume of the fluid does not produce a large change in the depth of the fluid per unit time. Since the problem here concerns water running out of a pipe, v1 ≠ 0.
Then I tried to find both of v1 and v2 with the equation of A1 v1 = A2 v2 and I got this " v2 = 1.667 v1" which didn't help much because it is already obvious that the velocity will increase since the area is smaller.

This is the continuity equation. It is important not because it solves the problem by itself, but it can be used with the Bernoulli equation to provide a solution.
After that I started cancelling some of the equation ( the one in brackets are canceled ) :

(Patm)+ ρgh1 + 0.5 ρv1^2 = (Patm) + (ρgh2) + 0.5 ρv2^2

And I tried to plug in numbers :
1000 • 9.8 • 10 + 0.5 • 1000 v1^2 = 0.5 • 1000 v2^2
98000 + 500 v1^2 = 500 v2^2

And I was left blank. So I'm now thinking whether the cross section area has anything to do with the pressure... But yeah that was my tries .
Using the continuity equation, you can find a relationship between v1 and v2 based on the area at the open end of the pipe and the hole further down.

By eliminating v1 or v2 (yer cherce), you can solve for the other velocity.

1. What is Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to the velocity of water outlet?

Bernoulli's principle states that in a fluid flow, an increase in velocity results in a decrease in pressure, and vice versa. This principle can be applied to the velocity of water outlet by considering the conservation of energy in a fluid system.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of water outlet using Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation states that the total energy in a fluid system is constant. This equation can be rearranged to solve for the velocity of water outlet, which is equal to the square root of (2 times the difference in pressure divided by the fluid's density).

3. Can Bernoulli's principle be applied to all fluid systems?

Bernoulli's principle can be applied to ideal fluids, which are non-viscous and incompressible. In real-world scenarios, there may be some limitations to its applicability, but it is generally a useful concept in understanding fluid flow.

4. How does the shape of the outlet affect the velocity of water outlet?

The shape of the outlet can affect the velocity of water outlet because it can change the pressure distribution in the fluid. For example, a narrow outlet will result in a higher velocity compared to a wider outlet, as the same amount of fluid must pass through a smaller area, resulting in a faster flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's principle in solving problems related to the velocity of water outlet?

Bernoulli's principle has many practical applications, such as in designing aircraft wings, calculating the flow of fluids in pipes and channels, and understanding the lift and drag forces on objects moving through a fluid. It can also be used to solve problems related to the flow of water in hydraulic systems, such as in dams and turbines.