Help! Troubleshooting a Technical Problem

In summary, the person is trying to calculate the probability of "at least 40" and "at most 30" occurrences using the expressions for "exactly 40 occurrences" and "exactly 30 occurrences". They are advised to use the normal approximation to the binomial distribution, which requires the mean and standard deviation. The textbook should be consulted for the formulas for these values.
gtfitzpatrick
Hi,
Trying to figure this out any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG-20181205-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20181205-WA0003.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG-20181205-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20181205-WA0011.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the expressions for "exactly 40 occurrences" and "exactly 30 occurrences". So when you did ##1 - P(40)## you've calculated the probability of "anything but 40".

The first question asks for "at least 40". That means 40, or 41, or 42, or ... up to 100. The probability of that would be P(40) + P(41) + P(42) + ... + P(100). Or 1 minus P(0) + P(1) + ... + P(39). Either way, it would be a lot of calculation to add up all those terms. So you're probably expected to use the normal approximation to the binomial distribution.

Does that ring a bell as something you were recently taught in class?

Similarly, part (ii) asks for "at most 30". That means 30, or 29, or 28, or... down to 0. Again, easier with the normal approximation.

Likes WWGD
Hi,
Thanks a million for the response.
Do I not need the mean and the standard deviation, To calculate the z scores? Using the information i have is the only way can do by adding them all up?

gtfitzpatrick said:
Hi,
Thanks a million for the response.
Do I not need the mean and the standard deviation, To calculate the z scores

Yes. You have ##n = 100## Bernoulli trials, and the probability of "success" on each one is ##p##, which you know. You are interested in the distribution of the number of successes. That is a binomial random variable. Its mean and standard deviation are formulas in terms of ##n## and ##p##.

gtfitzpatrick said:
Hi,
Using the information i have is the only way can do by adding them all up?

Or by approximating as a normal random variable with the same mean and standard deviation.

Consult your textbook for "mean of a binomial distribution" and "standard deviation of a binomial distribution".

1. How do I know if I have a technical problem?

You may notice unusual behavior or errors on your device or software, or you may receive error messages indicating a technical issue.

2. What steps should I take to troubleshoot a technical problem?

1. Identify the problem: Take note of any error messages or unusual behavior.2. Check for updates: Make sure your device and software are up to date.3. Restart: Sometimes a simple restart can fix the issue.4. Look for common solutions: Search online for solutions to common technical problems.5. Check hardware connections: Make sure all cables and connections are secure.6. Uninstall and reinstall: If the issue persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the software.7. Seek help: If you are still experiencing issues, reach out to technical support for assistance.

3. How can I prevent technical problems from happening?

Regularly updating your software and devices, backing up important files, and being cautious when downloading or installing new programs can help prevent technical problems.

4. What should I do if I am unable to troubleshoot the problem on my own?

If you are unable to resolve the issue on your own, reach out to technical support for assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or solutions.

5. How can I troubleshoot a technical problem on a device or software I am not familiar with?

If you are unfamiliar with the device or software, you can try researching online for solutions or contacting technical support for guidance. It may also be helpful to consult with someone who is knowledgeable about the device or software.