Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bernoulli variance

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show how Var(Xi) depends on p writing it as a function [tex]\sigma[/tex]^2(p)

3. The attempt at a solution

Var[Xi] = E[Xi^2] - E^2[Xi] = p-p^2 = p(1-p)

not sure where to go from here to get it in the form [tex]\sigma^2[/tex](p) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Please clarify you question. In particular, what is "p"? The mean?

If I understand the rest, The standard deviation, [itex]\sigma[/itex] is defined as the square root of the variance. The variance is [itex]\sigma^2[/itex].

4. Aug 1, 2010 #3
    p in this case is the probability of success. Xi is a Bernoulli random variable.

This is a standard Bernoulli question but I just dont understand what the question is asking when it says "writing it as a function sigma^2(p)". Does that mean calculate the variance of the probability? Surely not. In which case it must just be p(1-p)?

5. Aug 1, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

think about common function notation: when you write a function of [tex] x [/tex] you use [tex] f(x) [/tex]. Since the variance in the binomial setting is a function of [tex] p [/tex], the corresponding way to write it is [tex] \sigma^2(p) [/tex] - variance as a function of [tex] p [/tex]. It looks awkward, but you're stuck with it.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #5
    I see. That makes sense. Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook