1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bernoulli variance

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show how Var(Xi) depends on p writing it as a function [tex]\sigma[/tex]^2(p)

3. The attempt at a solution

Var[Xi] = E[Xi^2] - E^2[Xi] = p-p^2 = p(1-p)

not sure where to go from here to get it in the form [tex]\sigma^2[/tex](p) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Please clarify you question. In particular, what is "p"? The mean?

If I understand the rest, The standard deviation, [itex]\sigma[/itex] is defined as the square root of the variance. The variance is [itex]\sigma^2[/itex].

4. Aug 1, 2010 #3
    p in this case is the probability of success. Xi is a Bernoulli random variable.

This is a standard Bernoulli question but I just dont understand what the question is asking when it says "writing it as a function sigma^2(p)". Does that mean calculate the variance of the probability? Surely not. In which case it must just be p(1-p)?

5. Aug 1, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

think about common function notation: when you write a function of [tex] x [/tex] you use [tex] f(x) [/tex]. Since the variance in the binomial setting is a function of [tex] p [/tex], the corresponding way to write it is [tex] \sigma^2(p) [/tex] - variance as a function of [tex] p [/tex]. It looks awkward, but you're stuck with it.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #5
    I see. That makes sense. Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook