1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli yay!

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1
    it...just...does...not...make...the...slightest...sense...to...me....:confused:

Here it goes...

[tex]y' + \frac{y}{x} = 3x^2y^2[/tex]

This is a Bernoulli equation with [tex]P = \frac{1}{2}[/tex], [tex]Q = 3x^2[/tex], and [tex]n = 2[/tex]. We first divide through by [tex]y^2[/tex], obtaining...

[tex]\frac{1}{y^2} \frac{dy}{dx} + \frac{y^-^1}{x} = 3x^2[/tex]

We substitute [tex]z = y^-^1[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{dz}{dx} = -y^-^2\frac{dy}{dx} \Longrightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = -y^2\frac{dz}{dx}[/tex]

Substituting... [tex]-\frac{dz}{dx} + \frac{z}{x} = 3x^2 \Longrightarrow \frac{dz}{x} - \frac{z}{x} = -3x^2[/tex]

I'll stop there... two things I don't get... how does [tex]P = \frac{1}{2}[/tex] and how does that substitution work...

If you can help, I would really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, for that sentence to make any sense, you would have to know what a "Bernoulli equation" was, wouldn't you? Not remembering exactly and not having a differential equations text book immediately handy, I "googled" on "Bernoulli differential equation" and get (from Wikipedia)
    "an equation of the form y'+ P(x)y= Q(x)yn for n not equal to 1"

There's obviously an error- either in your source or in your copying. That is a Bernoulli equation with P(x)= 1/x, not 1/2.

Dividing a Bernoulli equation by yn and then making the substitution z= y1-n always reduces the equation to a linear equation.

As for "how the substitution works" I don't know what more to say. It is shown pretty clearly there. What are you not understanding? (Other than that "P(x)= 1/2" should be P(x)= 1/x".)

Do you see how they go from z= y-1 to dz/dx= -y-2dy/dx? That's straight forward "chain rule". Then, of course, y-2dy/dx in the differential equation becomes -dz/dx. y-1/x is simply z/x. The differential equation y-2dy/dx+ y-1/x= 3x2 becomes -dz/dx+ (1/x)z= 3x2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?