1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli's DE

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must solve [itex]xy'+y+x^4y^4e^x=0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Bernoulli's.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I divided the original DE by x to get [itex]y'+y \left ( \frac{1}{x} \right )=-x^3e^xy^4[/itex].
    Now let [itex]z=y^{-3} \Rightarrow z'=-3y^{-3}y'[/itex].
    I then multiplied the DE by [itex]-3y^{-4}[/itex] to reduces the DE to [itex]z'-\frac{3}{x}z=3x^3e^x[/itex]. This is a first order linear DE so I should be able to solve it via the integrating factor method, however this doesn't work out for me.
    The integrating factor is [itex]e^{\int -3 /x dx}=x^{-3}[/itex]. So that the general solution of this DE (the z's one) should be [itex]z=-e^xx^3+Cx^3[/itex].
    So that [itex]z'=-e^xx^3-3e^xx^2+3Cx^2[/itex].
    But then when I replace z and z' into [itex]z'-\frac{3}{x}z[/itex] I get that it's worth [itex]-e^xx^3[/itex] rather than [itex]3x^3e^x[/itex]. So it seems that I have a "-3" missing factor. I've rechecked all the algebra like 3 times, including now by typing this post and I still don't see where my mistake lies. I'm almost 100% sure it's in the integrating factor method but I really don't see it. I've even reopened Boas' mathematical methods book for the integrating factor method and I feel I've done it right.
    Thanks for all help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have another look at this bit:
    and in particular, the computation of the integrating factor :wink:

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I appreciate your help. However I'm afraid I don't see any error for the integrating factor.

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not the IF itself, but rather what you do with it. After multiplication by the IF, your ODE becomes

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{z}{x^3}\right) = 3e^x[/tex]

Do you see where your factor of three is missing now?

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Oh nice, yes now, thank you very very very much. :biggrin:
    This works. Continuing on, I reach as final answer [itex]y(x)=(3e^xx^3+cx^3)^{-1/3}=\frac{1}{x \sqrt [3] {3e^x+c}}[/itex].

7. Oct 10, 2011 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My pleasure :smile:
    That is indeed correct (or more accurately, the only real solution for appropriate x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook