Bernoulli's eqn for a fish passage

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bernoulli equations to design a fish-friendly dam structure. The equations can be used to calculate unknown variables such as pressure and flow rate at different points in the structure. The pressure at points 1 and 3 will depend on the water surface elevation and depth, while pressure 2 can be assumed to be equal to pressure 4. The flow rate before and after the turbine can be calculated using the continuity equation, and then the flow rate in the funnel and fishway can be determined using the Bernoulli equation.
Shuff
I'm doing a project for my University. Making a design for a fish friendly dam structure that will let fish pass downstream without getting through the turbine.

Quick sketch:
1232927.jpe

(1/2 u_1^2+p_1+gz_1 )_inlet=(1/2 u_2^2+p_2+gz_2 )_funnel+(1/2 u_3^2+p_3+gz_3 )_fishway

(1/2 u_2^2+p_2+gz_2 )_funnel=(1/2 u_4^2+p_4+gz_4 )_(turbine exit)

These are the two Bernoulli equations I have set up. Are they useable for this case?
If p1 is 20 meters under water surface, can one apply the basic 1 bar per 10meters, or will the water flow u1 play a major role on the p1?

p=F/A=(m⋅g)/A=(V⋅ρ⋅g)/A=(h⋅A⋅ρ⋅g)/A=ρ⋅g⋅h

Can p3 be assumed to be 1atm since it is so close to free air?

Also, how can p2 be calculated/assumed?

The problem I’m having is that I have too many unknowns. The u1 has to be assumed/given, but how can I calculate both u2 and u3. I guess the percentage of the area in the funnel and the fish tunnel ratio is not precise enough to calculate the ratio (funnel has ex. 80% more area than fishway so it has 4 times more flow). Since they are not located the same distance etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bernoulli equation can be used to calculate the unknowns. The pressure at points 1 and 3 will depend on the elevation of the water surface and the depth of the points relative to the water surface. Pressure 2 can be assumed to be equal to pressure 4 since they are located on the same side of the turbine. U1 and U4 can be calculated using the continuity equation, which states that the flow rate before the turbine must be equal to the flow rate after the turbine. You can then calculate U2 and U3 by using the Bernoulli equation.

What is Bernoulli's equation for a fish passage?

Bernoulli's equation for a fish passage is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the velocity of a fluid and its pressure. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

How is Bernoulli's equation applied to fish passage?

Bernoulli's equation is used to understand the flow of water in a fish passage, which is an engineered structure designed to allow fish to safely migrate through a dam or other barrier. By applying Bernoulli's equation, scientists and engineers can optimize the design of fish passages to ensure that fish can easily swim through without encountering harmful changes in water pressure.

What factors influence the application of Bernoulli's equation in fish passages?

Some factors that can affect the application of Bernoulli's equation in fish passages include the shape and size of the passage, the speed and flow rate of the water, and the behavior and physical characteristics of the fish species using the passage.

Why is Bernoulli's equation important for fish passage design?

Bernoulli's equation is important for fish passage design because it helps engineers and scientists predict and control the water flow and pressure in the passage. This is crucial for ensuring that fish are able to safely navigate through the passage without encountering any obstacles or harmful changes in pressure that could harm or impede their migration.

What are some limitations of using Bernoulli's equation for fish passage design?

While Bernoulli's equation can be a useful tool for designing fish passages, it has some limitations. For example, it assumes that the fluid is incompressible and inviscid, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as turbulence, which can also affect the flow of water in a fish passage.