Bernoulli's eqn for a fish passage

In summary, to solve this problem, you will need to know the values of u1, u2, u3, and p1, as well as the area and distance ratios of the funnel and fishway.
Shuff
I'm doing a project for my University. Making a design for a fish friendly dam structure that will let fish pass downstream without getting through the turbine.

Quick sketch:
1232927.jpe

(1/2 u_1^2+p_1+gz_1 )_inlet=(1/2 u_2^2+p_2+gz_2 )_funnel+(1/2 u_3^2+p_3+gz_3 )_fishway

(1/2 u_2^2+p_2+gz_2 )_funnel=(1/2 u_4^2+p_4+gz_4 )_(turbine exit)

These are the two Bernoulli equations I have set up. Are they useable for this case?
If p1 is 20 meters under water surface, can one apply the basic 1 bar per 10meters, or will the water flow u1 play a major role on the p1?

p=F/A=(m⋅g)/A=(V⋅ρ⋅g)/A=(h⋅A⋅ρ⋅g)/A=ρ⋅g⋅h

Can p3 be assumed to be 1atm since it is so close to free air?

Also, how can p2 be calculated/assumed?

The problem I’m having is that I have too many unknowns. The u1 has to be assumed/given, but how can I calculate both u2 and u3. I guess the percentage of the area in the funnel and the fish tunnel ratio is not precise enough to calculate the ratio (funnel has ex. 80% more area than fishway so it has 4 times more flow). Since they are not located the same distance etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bernoulli equations can be used for this case but you will need additional information to solve them. You will need to know the values of u1, u2, u3, and p1. You can calculate p3 by assuming it is 1 atm since it is close to free air. You can calculate p2 using the hydrostatic pressure equation, which is p=ρgH where p is the pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and H is the height of the liquid column. In order to calculate u2 and u3, you will need to know the area of the funnel and the fishway, as well as their distances from the turbine exit. Using these values, you can calculate the ratio of velocities between the two areas (u2/u3). Then, you can use the Bernoulli equations to calculate the velocities of each section.

1. What is Bernoulli's equation for a fish passage?

Bernoulli's equation for a fish passage is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between fluid flow and pressure. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation used in designing fish passages?

Bernoulli's equation is used in designing fish passages to ensure that the water flow is appropriate for fish to swim through. It helps engineers calculate the necessary velocity and pressure to create a passage that is safe and efficient for fish migration.

3. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's equation for fish passage design?

Yes, there are limitations to using Bernoulli's equation for fish passage design. It assumes ideal conditions, such as a steady flow of water and no friction, which may not accurately reflect real-world conditions. Additionally, it does not account for other factors that may affect fish passage, such as turbulence or obstacles in the water.

4. What are some practical applications of Bernoulli's equation for fish passage?

Bernoulli's equation for fish passage has various practical applications, including designing fish ladders, fish elevators, and other fish passage structures. It is also used in studying the effects of dams and other barriers on fish migration and developing solutions to improve fish passage.

5. How can Bernoulli's equation be modified for different fish species?

Bernoulli's equation can be modified for different fish species by adjusting the parameters used in the equation, such as the fish's size and swimming ability, the water temperature, and the shape and size of the fish passage. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the necessary flow and pressure for each specific species.