1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli's eqn for a fish passage

1. Jul 21, 2012 #1
    I'm doing a project for my University. Making a design for a fish friendly dam structure that will let fish pass downstream without getting through the turbine.

Quick sketch:
    1232927.jpe

(1/2 u_1^2+p_1+gz_1 )_inlet=(1/2 u_2^2+p_2+gz_2 )_funnel+(1/2 u_3^2+p_3+gz_3 )_fishway

(1/2 u_2^2+p_2+gz_2 )_funnel=(1/2 u_4^2+p_4+gz_4 )_(turbine exit)

These are the two Bernoulli equations I have set up. Are they useable for this case?
    If p1 is 20 meters under water surface, can one apply the basic 1 bar per 10meters, or will the water flow u1 play a major role on the p1?

p=F/A=(m⋅g)/A=(V⋅ρ⋅g)/A=(h⋅A⋅ρ⋅g)/A=ρ⋅g⋅h

Can p3 be assumed to be 1atm since it is so close to free air?

Also, how can p2 be calculated/assumed?

The problem I’m having is that I have too many unknowns. The u1 has to be assumed/given, but how can I calculate both u2 and u3. I guess the percentage of the area in the funnel and the fish tunnel ratio is not precise enough to calculate the ratio (funnel has ex. 80% more area than fishway so it has 4 times more flow). Since they are not located the same distance etc.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?