Solving an ODE using substitution and integrating factor

In summary, the person realized they skipped a crucial step in solving an ordinary differential equation and realized they needed to isolate y'. They also mentioned that their textbook has been using a strategy of throwing magical solutions at them and they have been using outside sources for clarification. They shared a form of an ODE and mentioned that dividing by y^n and using a substitution can solve it, but they tried to solve it using an integrating factor instead and got stuck. They are unsure of what is going wrong and have requested to close the thread.
Mangoes
EDIT:

Wow, just realized I skipped a crucial step. Forgot to isolate y' while I was working out the problem and now I see you can't even isolate y' without going back to the original equation. Sorry, disregard the thread please.

I'm taking an introductory ODE course (I've only taken up to Calculus 2) and so far throughout the class, the textbook has been following a general strategy of throwing magical solutions out of thin air at me for certain forms an ordinary differential equation may take.

Throughout the sections of the book, I've had to take the time and look at outside sources for clarification behind the theory and I'm unsure of what to think in this one.

My textbook says that for an ODE of the form:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} + yP(x) = Q(x)y^n [/tex]

If I divide by y^n,

[tex] y^{-n}\frac{dy}{dx} + P(x)y^{1-n} = Q(x) [/tex]

The simple substitution v = y^(1-n) will simplify the equation into a linear first order ODE which may be solved by a method I already know of.

When I read this, I figured that since a substitution seems to me like a visual aid more than anything, the key to solving the initial equation is really just dividing by y^n; that is, the ODE can be solved with an integrating factor without a need for substitution. At least that was what I thought.

So, I tried it out:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} + yp(x) = q(x)y^n [/tex]

[tex] y^{-n}\frac{dy}{dx} + p(x)y^{1-n} = q(x) [/tex]

[tex] u(x) = e^{\int{p(x)dx}} = e^{P(x)}[/tex]

P'(x) = p(x)

Multiplying across by u(x):

[tex] y^{-n}\frac{dy}{dx}e^{P(x)} + p(x)y^{1-n}e^{P(x)} = e^{P(x)}q(x) [/tex]

The left hand side however, is not the product of the product rule.

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(e^{P(x)}y^{1-n}) = p(x)e^{P(x)}y^{1-n} + (1-n)y^{-n}e^{P(x)}\frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]

The expression differs by the (1-n) factor and I'm stumped. As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to solve an ODE of that form through algebra and the integrating factor, but I can't really make myself see the substitution as anything more than a visual aid, yet the substitution combined with the integrating factor does work.

What's going wrong with all of this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Closed by request

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is commonly used to analyze fluid flow problems in various fields, such as aerodynamics and hydraulics.

2. What are the assumptions made in Bernoulli's Equation?

The main assumptions made in Bernoulli's Equation are that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and there is no friction or viscosity present. Additionally, it assumes that the fluid is flowing along a streamline and that there is no change in the fluid's temperature or density along the streamline.

3. How is Bernoulli's Equation derived?

Bernoulli's Equation is derived from the principles of conservation of mass and energy. It can also be derived using the Navier-Stokes equations and simplifying them under the assumptions mentioned above. The resulting equation is a first-order ordinary differential equation (ODE) that can be solved to analyze fluid flow problems.

4. What are the applications of Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation has numerous applications in various fields, including aerodynamics, hydraulics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to calculate the lift and drag forces on an airplane wing, the flow rate of water through a pipe, and the pressure distribution in a fluid flow, among others.

5. What are the limitations of Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation has some limitations, including the assumptions mentioned above. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not hold, and the equation may not accurately predict the fluid flow behavior. It also does not take into account the effects of turbulence and vortices, which can significantly impact the flow. Additionally, it is only applicable to inviscid and incompressible fluids.