1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli's Equation Prob?

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Bernoulli's Equation Prob?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water emerges from a faucet of diameter 'd' in steady, near vertical flow with speed 'v'. Show that the diameter of the falling water column is given by D = d[v^2/(v^2+2gh)]^(1/4), were 'h' is the distance below the faucet.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not positive where to start but I think Bernoulli's Equation may have something to do with it:

pressure+.5(density)(velocity)^2 + (density)(gravity)(height) = pressure+.5(density)(velocity)^2 + (density)(gravity)(height)

maybe the conservation of mass plays a role:
    velocity * area = velocity * area

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm terrible at deriving equations. Once I get started I can usually take off but I need that first little push to get me goin. Looking at this problem I see we have the initial diameter, and initial velocity. The water falls due to the acceleration of gravity, creating a higher velocity, and thus a smaller area due to the conservation of mass eqn. That all makes sense to me but I don't really see where I can make any equations out of it. Maybe this is wrong, I need a good understanding of what it happening before I can dive in and try to create the proof.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

use this relationship

and consider the water to be in free fall in order to determine the velocity of the water when it has fallen through a height h below the fuacet.
  4. Feb 4, 2008 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?