Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bernoulli's o.d.e

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \frac{dy}{dx}= - \frac{c}{n} y^{n} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] y' + p(x)y=q(x) y^n [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    im strictly speaking able to do it , i just wanted to kno whether im on the right track using bernoulli's equation, not that i can see any other methods!
    ;-)
    cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If c and n are constants then you can just divide by yn and you'd have a separable ODE

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3
    thanks , i try that ( c and n are constants). seems less involving if not actually suggesting i was on the wrong track

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think you will find it to be separable. Bernoulli's method is the way to go. Dividing by yn puts it in the form

y(-n)y' +p(x)y(1-n)= q(x)

and the change variable v = y(1-n) transforms it into a linear first order equation which can be done with an integrating factor.

[edit] Correction -- your specific equation is indeed separable, it is the general Bernoulli equation that isn't.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Feb 18, 2010 #5
    i did find it to be separable and got an expression for a problem im working on that agrees with the solution provided, so im confident about that . thanks though.

here's the source of the d.e. for the curious :
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2587065#post2587065

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook