1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bernoulli's o.d.e

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \frac{dy}{dx}= - \frac{c}{n} y^{n} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] y' + p(x)y=q(x) y^n [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    im strictly speaking able to do it , i just wanted to kno whether im on the right track using bernoulli's equation, not that i can see any other methods!
    ;-)
    cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If c and n are constants then you can just divide by yn and you'd have a separable ODE

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3
    thanks , i try that ( c and n are constants). seems less involving if not actually suggesting i was on the wrong track

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think you will find it to be separable. Bernoulli's method is the way to go. Dividing by yn puts it in the form

y(-n)y' +p(x)y(1-n)= q(x)

and the change variable v = y(1-n) transforms it into a linear first order equation which can be done with an integrating factor.

[edit] Correction -- your specific equation is indeed separable, it is the general Bernoulli equation that isn't.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Feb 18, 2010 #5
    i did find it to be separable and got an expression for a problem im working on that agrees with the solution provided, so im confident about that . thanks though.

here's the source of the d.e. for the curious :
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2587065#post2587065

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook