1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli's principle

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1

fro

Liquid flows through a 4cm diameter at 1m/s. There is 2cm diameter restriction i n the line. Find fluid velocity in restriction.

[tex]p_1+ \rho\cdot g \cdot y_1 + \frac{1}{2}\rho \cdot(v_1)^2 = p_2+ \rho \cdot g\cdot y_2 + \frac{1}{2}\cdot \rho\cdot(v_2)^2[/tex]

I know I have to use Bernoulli's principle to solve this. I am confused as to if I use the diameter or radius in the problem for the height. Can I cancel out p1 and p2?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Unless I'm missing something, you could solve this by simply stating A1v1 = A2v2, where A1 and A2 are the areas of the cross sections of the pipe.

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3

fro

Thanks, I got it.

5. Dec 5, 2006 #4

fro

Here is a slightly different one:
    Water flows at 12m/s with pressure of 3X10^4 N/m^2. If the pipe widens to twice its original radius, what is the pressure in the wider section?

I am trying to plug everything to Bernoulli's principle. Problem is that both the pressure and radius is unknown. Any hints as to how I should start this problem? Thanks.

6. Dec 5, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Again, use the equation (i.e. conservation of mass) you used to solve the first problem, and then you'll have everything you need to apply Bernoulli's equation and solve for the pressure in the wider section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?