What is the role of Berry curvature in solids according to Rev. Mod. Phys?

In summary, the article discusses Berry phase and its gauge invariance. Berry phase is a phase where the wavefunction of an electron is of Bloch form. This form is invariant under a continuous change of the Hamiltonian, meaning that the system starts out with a particular Hamiltonian and I can continuously change the Hamiltonian by somehow affecting the parameter of the Hamiltonian. By applying an electric field to the system, I can get a close loop evolution. The condition for a close loop evolution is that the change of the electric field must be slow.
semc
TL;DR Summary
How is the closed loop evolution formed in solids?
1604998102098.png

This is a paragraph from Rev. Mod. Phys,82,1959(2010). From the article, I understand that Berry phase is gauge invariant only for closed loop evolution but what exactly is this evolution? Does it mean that the system initially start out with some Hamiltonian and I continuously change the Hamiltonian by somehow affecting the parameter of the Hamiltonian? How do I guarantee I go back to the initial Hamiltonian to form the close loop? How is it that by simply applying an electric field to the system I can get a close loop evolution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the wavefunction of an electron in a periodic potential is of Bloch form: ##\psi_{kn}(x)=u_{kn}(x)\exp(ikx)##, where ##u_{kn}(x)## has the periodicity of the lattice.
The hamiltonian, which has the ##u_{kn}## as eigenfunctions is
##H=\frac{1}{2m}(p-ik)^2+U(x)##, i.e., ##k## appears as a vector potential like term in this effective Hamiltonian.
A spatially constant electric field ##E(t)## can also be formulated as a vector potential ##A(t)=\int^t E(t') dt'.##
So, in the presence of an electric field, ##H(t)=\frac{1}{2m}(p-ik-iA(t))^2+U(x)##.
If the change of A(t) is slow (adiabatic), the eigenfunction ##u_{kn}## gets transformed into ##u_{(k+A(t))n}.##
Now, as for a reciprocal lattice vector G, ##u_{kn}=u_{(k+G)n}##, if ##A(t)=G##, the motion in Hilbert space will have completed a closed loop, up to a phase factor, which contains a Berry part.

Likes Rzbs and dRic2
I get up until the adiabatic part (I think) but have some problem understanding the last line. Do you mean that if ## A(t)=G ## , then the transformed eigenfunction would be the same as the initial eigenfunction ## u_{kn} ## according to the periodic boundary condition? What is the condition for A(t) to be adiabatic? Sorry I am very new to this.

Yes, the hamiltonian is periodic in k with period G. The question, how slow A(t) has to change with time is difficult and may differ for different states. It will usually hold if ## \langle i | (\partial H(t)/\partial t | j \rangle << | E_i(t)-E_j(t)| ## for all states i and j in question.

Thanks for the clarification. One last question: You said if ##A(t)=G##. When does that happen? Why is ##A(t)=G##?

semc said:
Thanks for the clarification. One last question: You said if ##A(t)=G##. When does that happen? Why is ##A(t)=G##?

With a constant electric field ##E##, ##A(t) \sim Et##, so ##A## will be periodically equal to a reciprocal lattice vector ##G##.

Sorry I don't see why A is periodic in k-space if it does not have spatial dependence :sorry:

Applying a spatially constant electric field to a charged particle will increase its momentum and k value.
Including another gauge, namely V=eU=eEx, makes the spatial dependence explicit.

Likes semc

1. What is Berry curvature?

Berry curvature is a fundamental quantity in solid state physics that describes the geometric phase of the electronic wavefunction in a material.

2. How does Berry curvature affect electronic properties of solids?

Berry curvature plays a crucial role in determining various electronic properties of solids, such as the Hall effect, anomalous Hall effect, and topological insulating behavior.

3. What is the connection between Berry curvature and topological insulators?

Topological insulators are materials that have a non-trivial topology of their electronic band structure, which is described by the Berry curvature. This topological nature of the band structure leads to unique electronic properties, such as protected surface states and robust conducting channels.

4. Can Berry curvature be experimentally measured?

Yes, Berry curvature can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and the quantum Hall effect. These techniques allow for the direct observation of the geometric phase of the electronic wavefunction in a material.

5. How has the understanding of Berry curvature evolved over time?

The concept of Berry curvature was first introduced by Sir Michael Berry in the 1980s. Since then, it has been extensively studied and has become a key concept in the field of condensed matter physics. With advancements in experimental techniques, our understanding of Berry curvature and its role in solids continues to grow and evolve.