1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Besicovitch Covering Lemma

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let {Q} be a collection of cubes covering a set E in R^n. Prove that there is a countable sub collection {Q}' of these cubes which covers E and [itex] \cup (\frac{1}{2}){Q} \subseteq \cup {Q}' [/itex], and the number of cubes in the subcollection containing any given point of E is less than something depending only on the dimension.
    Oh and the sup of the side lengths of the cubes is bounded, but E is not bounded.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{1}{2}Q [/itex] means the cube inside Q with side length 1/2 of the side length of Q.
    In other words, the countable subcovering needs to cover the middle sections of the original cover.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really like this proof http://books.google.com/books?id=5d...=onepage&q=besicovitch covering cubes&f=false

But in this proof the set E is the centers of the cubes, so we only end up covering centers, not middle halves, and also E is bounded in that proof. My professor said I could modify this proof but I don't see how. *sad face* He also said the first half of my most recent attempt at this proof was badly written and the second half was worse. :(:(

The idea for dealing with the unbounded set E is to take "layers" of cubes which are about the same size. So something like sup{S(Q)}=R where S(Q) is the side length of Q and then [itex](1-\epsilon)^kR< S(q)\le R[/itex] for the first layer, then take a maximal set of points in E which are some specific distance apart (this is a piece I messed up on, no matter what distance I separate my points by there is always some flaw in my choice). Then take the cubes containing those points and discard some cubes (which ones?). Rinse and repeat.

I tried doing some optimal arrangement of separated points around a specific point for the bound, but I was told I did that wrong too :( (that was the "worse" part apparently.)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?