1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Bessel Beam) Wave vector question

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    Hello, first post on these forums... I read up on the rules and such but please excuse me if i missed something.

I am making a simulation of a bessel beam (non-diffracting and self healing) in MatLab but I do not know how to define the wave vector. More specifically, the transverse (kT) and the propagation constant (kz). If i can find one of them, I can solve for the other.

The "governing" equation I am using is:

U(r)=J0(kT*rho)*exp(-j*kz*z)

J0 is the zero order Bessel function of the first kind, rho is just sqrt(x^2+y^2), j is imaginary number, z is distance along the z-axis.

The relationship between the wave vectors is:

kT2+kz2=k2

Now, a fellow labmate initially had told me that for a gaussian beam, you usually set z=0 and solve for kz because at the z=0 plane, all the wave vectors point only in the z-direction and thus kT=0. However this will not work because if z=0 and kT=0 then the equation above yields a plane wave.

This is just a summary of my problem . If you need more information, I will be happy to provide it.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted