Solving the Bessel Function Equation with Series Solution Method

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation in terms of Bessel functions. The approach involves finding a series solution and comparing it to Bessel's equation. Other methods, such as transforming the independent variable, are also considered. Ultimately, a solution is found in terms of trigonometric functions. A typo in the original equation is identified and corrected.
dats13
I am trying to solve this equation in terms of Bessel functions.

xy"-y'+(4x^3)y=0

I am sure how to do this. The first thing that comes to mind is to solve for a series solution. This solution can then be compared to the bessel function and from that I can determine the first solution and thus get the second linearly independent solution.

Would this be the correct approach or is there any other way to solve for the general solution in terms of Bessel functions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't look like Bessel's equation but in any case x = 0 is a regular singular point so you would look for a solution

[tex]y = x^r\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n[/tex]

I figured out how to solve this. By comparing the given ODE to the following:

[tex]x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{d^{2}x}+x(z+2bx^{r})\frac{dy}{dx}+[c+dx^{2s}-b(1-a-r)x^{r}+b^{2}x^{2r}]y=0[/tex]

I can then determine a, b, c, d, r and s. From this, the solution is given by:

[tex]y(x)=x^{\frac{1-a}{2}}e^{-\frac{b}{r}x^{r}}Z_{p}(\frac{\sqrt{d}}{s}x^{s})[/tex]

where

[tex]p=\frac{1}{s}\sqrt{(\frac{1-a}{2})^{2}-c}[/tex]

Hmm...

I find it a bit odd that the question asks you to solve this in terms of Bessel functions, because it has a simple solution in terms of trigonometric functions. Try transforming the independent variable to [itex]u = x^2[/itex].

Ben, I agree with what you're saying.

Determining a, b, c, d, r and s, gives me the solution

[tex]y(x)=xZ_{\frac{1}{2}}(x^{2})[/tex]

Now since p=1/2

[tex]Z_{\frac{1}{2}}(x^{2})=c_{1}J_{\frac{1}{2}}(x^{2})+c_{2}J_{-\frac{1}{2}}(x^{2})[/tex]

Thus the solution is

[tex]y(x)=x[c_{1}J_{\frac{1}{2}}(x^{2})+c_{2}J_{-\frac{1}{2}}(x^{2})]=C_{1}cos(x^{2})+C_{2}sin(x^{2})[/tex]

dats13 said:
I figured out how to solve this. By comparing the given ODE to the following:

[tex]x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{d^{2}x}+x(z+2bx^{r})\frac{dy}{dx}+[c+dx^{2s}-b(1-a-r)x^{r}+b^{2}x^{2r}]y=0[/tex]

I can then determine a, b, c, d, r and s.
What is the z in the coefficient of y'? Is that a typo?

It is a typo. It is suppose to be "a" not "z". Thanks for pointing that out.

What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that is used to solve differential equations involving circular and cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

What is the significance of Bessel functions in science?

Bessel functions have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to describe wave phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. They also play a role in solving heat conduction and diffusion equations.

What is the Bessel function solution?

The Bessel function solution refers to the solution of a differential equation that involves Bessel functions. This solution is expressed in terms of Bessel functions and their derivatives, and it allows for the calculation of the value of the function at any given point.

How are Bessel functions calculated?

Bessel functions can be calculated numerically using specialized software or through a series expansion. They can also be calculated analytically using recurrence relations or integral representations.

What are some real-life examples of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions can be found in many physical phenomena, such as the vibrations of a circular drum head, the diffraction of light through a circular aperture, and the oscillations of a pendulum. They are also used in engineering applications, such as designing antennas and analyzing heat transfer in cylindrical objects.