1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bessel functions continuity

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to make sure that a solution to a differrential equation given by bessel functions of the first kind and second kind meet at a border(r=a), and it to be differenitable. So i shall determine the constants c_1 and c_2

I use notation from Schaums outlines
    2. Relevant equations
    The functions:
    [itex]R_1 = c_1J_\gamma(\kappa r),\hspace{8pt}r\in [0,a]\\
    R_2 = c_2K_\gamma(\sigma r),\hspace{8pt}r\in[a,b][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the solution to be continous at r=a:
    [itex] c_1J_\gamma(\kappa a) = c_2K_\gamma(\sigma a)[/itex]
    For it to be differentiable:
    [itex] c_1J'_\gamma(\kappa a) = c_2K'_\gamma(\sigma a)[/itex]
    I tried taking the determinant of the matrix describing the system at set it equal to zero, but i didn't seem to work. I also know from another part of the problem, that [itex]\gamma\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]
    But is there a trick i've missed?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2
    Consider the extreme case of σ = [itex]\kappa[/itex], what you try to do is impossible. You can't expect a Bessel function to smoothly connect to a Neumann function, in the general case, you can only expect a Bessel function to connect smoothly with a linear combination of Bessel and Neumann functions. (Incident+Reflected=Transmitted)

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    Yeah my teacher said so too. He mentioned that of course the contuinity should be at the tangential field, not the radial. But thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook