What is the Most Effective Angle for Blowing on Hot Coffee to Cool it Down?

In summary, my friends and I were curious as to what the best angle was to blow on coffee to cool it down (actually only the coffee near the surface cools, so that's where we measured) and we did three trials each for 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, 75°, and 90°.. all started around 88°C to 91°C measured every 30 seconds for 3 minutes while blowing on it with an electric pump (opening modified to simulate lips). We got this result, graph of average degrees per second as a function of blowing angle. Aside from the air blowing away the vapor-saturated-air to keep evaporation going, we think we got this result because blowing down 60° caused
curiouscow393
My friends and I were curious as to what the best angle was to blow on coffee to cool it down (actually only the coffee near the surface cools, so that's where we measured)

We did three trials each for 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, 75°, and 90°.. all started around 88°C to 91°C measured every 30 seconds for 3 minutes while blowing on it with an electric pump (opening modified to simulate lips)

We got this result, graph of average degrees per second as a function of blowing angle

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9660/screenshot20111017at102.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aside from the air blowing away the vapor-saturated-air to keep evaporation going, we think we got this result because blowing down 60° caused an increase in surface area (by pushing down the water slightly on one side) and we think that the graph went down towards the end because surrounding pressure became greater than vapor pressure so evaporative cooling became less.

What do you guys think?

Btw, the red dot was the control, no blowing involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait...did you actually do this experiment? If so, you're awesome. Was it for a school project or something?

Anyway, there's lots to take into account. I'm guessing the power of the air stream would definitely change the optimal angle. You'd also have to specify exactly what the liquid does when the air hits it. Also, the shape of the container it is in probably matters a great deal.

My bet would be the shape of your coffee cup... blowing at the 60 degree angle could be the best by causing the coffee to flow and help convection currents bring the hotter coffee to the surface, more so than the other angles anyways.

interesting experiment lol

Did you have the coffee filled to the brim of the mug, so that the air would always hit the surface of the coffee and not hit the inside of the mug at low angles? Or did you have it filled to a level more characteristic of normal drinking practices?

My coffee maker doesn't make the coffee scaldingly hot, I never need to worry about this.

Great experiment.

Did you stir the coffee to obtain an even temperature of the liquid throughout or just the top surface?

I don't think I could blow on coffee for 3 minutes.
Most people will blow on hot coffee a bit and then sip.

60 degrees from the normal?

If you didn't stir it, blowing at an angle induces convection which hastens cooling.
Beyond some angle, the air comes in glancing, which reduces its effect.

clem said:
If you didn't stir it, blowing at an angle induces convection which hastens cooling.
Beyond some angle, the air comes in glancing, which reduces its effect.

so probably 30 degrees from normal haha.

Interesting idea, but graphs of measured data like this are actually nearly useless unless you put error bars on the points, and that is often the hardest part of experimental physics. :smile: The reader has no idea if the results are significant, or if the uncertainty in the measured points is as large as the whole vertical scale, even if you do include 8 significant figures in the rate table. To include error bars, you'll need to consider how accurately the angles were measured, and more importantly how accurately the temperatures and rates of change of temperatures were measured. There are also possible systematic errors, due for example to the height of the level of the coffee relative to the rim of the cup, the distance to the electric fan, etc.

JeffKoch said:
Interesting idea, but graphs of measured data like this are actually nearly useless unless you put error bars on the points, and that is often the hardest part of experimental physics. :smile: The reader has no idea if the results are significant, or if the uncertainty in the measured points is as large as the whole vertical scale, even if you do include 8 significant figures in the rate table. To include error bars, you'll need to consider how accurately the angles were measured, and more importantly how accurately the temperatures and rates of change of temperatures were measured. There are also possible systematic errors, due for example to the height of the level of the coffee relative to the rim of the cup, the distance to the electric fan, etc.

Chill.

dacruick said:
Chill.

Dude.

JeffKoch said:
Dude.

duuuude

Lol!

1. What is the best angle to blow on coffee to cool it down?

The best angle to blow on coffee to cool it down is at a 45-degree angle. This allows for the maximum surface area of the coffee to be exposed to the air, promoting faster cooling.

2. Does the shape of the cup affect the best angle to blow on coffee?

Yes, the shape of the cup can affect the best angle to blow on coffee. For a standard cylindrical cup, a 45-degree angle is still the most effective. However, for a wider or shallower cup, a slightly lower angle may be more effective in cooling the coffee evenly.

3. Why is blowing on coffee at a 90-degree angle not as effective?

Blowing on coffee at a 90-degree angle does not allow for as much surface area to be exposed to the air, resulting in slower cooling. It also creates a stronger force of air, which can cause the coffee to spill or splash out of the cup.

4. Is blowing on coffee the most effective way to cool it down?

Blowing on coffee is one of the most effective ways to cool it down, as it involves the transfer of heat from the coffee to the surrounding air. However, other methods such as stirring or adding ice cubes may also be effective in cooling down coffee.

5. Does blowing on coffee affect its taste?

Blowing on coffee may slightly affect its taste, as it can introduce oxygen into the coffee which may change its flavor. This is why some people prefer not to blow on their coffee and instead let it cool naturally. However, the effect on taste is minimal and may not be noticeable to everyone.