Top iOS App for Creating PDFs with LaTeX | Texpad & Texwriter Alternatives

In summary: But learning vim is so hard not to mention how hard is emacs.Aquamacs is a great alternative that you can use on a tablet.
doktorwho
hi, do you happen to know any app for iOS that can create pdf-s by writing LaTeX. I know of Texpad and Texwriter but don't know if they can create pdf-s from the code you write. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
TeXStudio creates pdf, but I don't know whether it runs under iOS.

Likes doktorwho and Buffu
Texpad has a PDF export:

https://www.texpad.com/releasenotes/tpios

Likes doktorwho and Buffu
doktorwho said:
hi, do you happen to know any app for iOS that can create pdf-s by writing LaTeX. I know of Texpad and Texwriter but don't know if they can create pdf-s from the code you write. Any help?

Check this out, It has a large list of Tex editors
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/339/latex-editors-ides

Likes doktorwho
So which would you recommend, Texpad or Texwriter?

doktorwho said:
So which would you recommend, Texpad or Texwriter?
I really don't see why I should use for every task a different editor or integrated development environment. Use vi or emacs and configure it as you like.

DrDu said:
I really don't see why I should use for every task a different editor or integrated development environment. Use vi or emacs and configure it as you like.
I agree with you, but this is not possible on a tablet.

DrClaude said:
I agree with you, but this is not possible on a tablet.
Why on a tablet?

DrDu said:
Why on a tablet?
The OP mentioned iOS, which is Apple's operating system for iPads and iPhones.

DrDu said:
Yes, I actually do have vim on my iPad :smile:

The problem is that each application as there own data space, and it is hard to pass files from one app to another. It becomes painful to do cycles of editing and compiling with different apps. (A least, this is my personal experience. If it can be done easily, I would appreciate learning how.)

I eventually considered and bought TexWriter for iOS :)

DrDu said:
Use vi or emacs and configure it as you like.
But learning vim is so hard not to mention how hard is emacs.

Aquamacs

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for creating PDFs?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in academia and scientific publishing. It allows for precise formatting and layout of documents, particularly those containing mathematical equations and symbols.

2. What is Texpad and Texwriter and how do they compare to other LaTeX editors?

Texpad and Texwriter are two popular iOS apps for creating PDFs with LaTeX. They are both full-featured LaTeX editors that allow for easy compilation and previewing of documents. They also have features such as auto-completion and spell check that make them user-friendly. Compared to other LaTeX editors, Texpad and Texwriter are known for their user-friendly interface and efficient compilation process.

3. Can I import and edit existing LaTeX documents in Texpad or Texwriter?

Yes, both Texpad and Texwriter allow for importing and editing of existing LaTeX documents. They also have features such as version control and syncing with cloud services for easy collaboration and access to documents on different devices.

4. Are there any limitations to using Texpad or Texwriter on iOS devices?

While Texpad and Texwriter are powerful LaTeX editors, they do have some limitations on iOS devices compared to their desktop counterparts. For example, they may not have all the advanced features of desktop editors and may have limited support for certain packages. It is always recommended to check the app's capabilities before starting a project on iOS.

5. Are Texpad and Texwriter free to use?

Texpad and Texwriter both have free versions available on the App Store. However, these versions may have limited features and may require in-app purchases to access all features. There are also paid versions available that offer more advanced features and capabilities.