1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Best book for quantum physics?

1. Jun 28, 2017 #1
    I'd like to be a quantum physicist in the future, so I'd like to do quantum properly, but there are so many books out there, and it's a bit hard to choose. I've already completed 1 year of undergraduate physics, so I think I know enough classical mechanics. I've also covered calculus, differential equations and a lot of linear algebra, so the maths side should be fine. I'm looking for a book that is "kind of" rigorous, maths-based, has examples and possibly visual things? However, by "kind of" rigorous I mean not too rigorous as to scare me away as a beginner. I've never learnt quantum from its maths side before. If we were to use a scale, I'm looking for something like 6.5/10 to 7/10 on rigour.

I've seen a lot of people recommend Griffiths, however, based on comments, it doesn't look that rigorous & heavy enough on linear algebra.

If you recommend a book, could you please elaborate on how comprehensible it is for a beginner, and if any quantum books have visual things at all?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 28, 2017 #3
    McIntyre

5. Jun 30, 2017 #4
    There are several books on quantum mechanics aimed at beginners. But I must say what you are asking for is highly subjective. What may be your 6/10 could be a 10/10 for me!

I usually recommend Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications, Second Edition by Nouredine Zettili to people who aren't satisfied with Griffiths. It contains a lot tricky derivations, and uses what is know as 'matrix mechanics', and has a lot of solved examples making it suitable for beginners.

6. Jun 30, 2017 #5
    I support that Griffiths doesn't help at times, though it is one of the best. Steps are skipped and hardships are faced in solving the problems, without any solved examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted