Best book to self teach yourself physics

• Thread starter Cosmo16
  • Start date
hey, i really want to learn physics. however, I can't learn it in school yet. What are the best books for teaching yourself physics?
p.s. I would eventually like to go into quantum, or another branch of theoetical physics. I'm not sure if this would influence the books I should start off reading.

Answers and Replies

EdW
The obvious choice is probably The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Exist in printed form and as audio books. A sample of the goodness is currently swarming here:
http://www.thepiratebay.com/torrents-details.php?id=3279186 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
--- and, for the more budget minded, http://www.jimloy.com/books/physics0.htm [Broken]
--- not Feynman, and oriented more to the introductory level, but otherwise decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cosmo16 said:
hey, i really want to learn physics. however, I can't learn it in school yet. What are the best books for teaching yourself physics?
p.s. I would eventually like to go into quantum, or another branch of theoetical physics. I'm not sure if this would influence the books I should start off reading.

I'd ask what grade you're in, but that's not really what matters. What's the highest level of maths you've been able to master? Feynman's lectures may prove quite formidable to someone who isn't familiar with vectors, analytic geometry, calculus, etc.

Mentat, could you advise a book for someone just finishing Calc BC? I'm a high school senior right now, and I want a book that will help me delve into college physics. I've completed AP Physics B and almost C - which are both introductory college level courses.

Last edited:
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My advice: You don't want Feynman yet. You want Halliday and Resnick.

I'm not trying to break into this thread but..

Do you have a say between University Physics and Halliday? These are the two I'm mainly looking at -- can't decide which one.

*And also which Halliday and Resnick are you talking about? 7th edition extended? Thanks.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Knavish said:
I'm not trying to break into this thread but..

That's OK, anyone may post to any thread.

Do you have a say between University Physics and Halliday? These are the two I'm mainly looking at -- can't decide which one.

University Physics by whom?

*And also which Halliday and Resnick are you talking about? 7th edition extended? Thanks.

Whichever one you have would be fine. I studied from the 2nd edition and I taught from the 4th and 5th. They were all good.

11th Edition by Hugh D. Young

If you haven't heard of this book, it probably sucks. I'll likely go with Halliday..

Thanks for the quick replies; as you can see I'm not familiar with this, and I don't want to get screwed.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Knavish said:
11th Edition by Hugh D. Young

If you haven't heard of this book, it probably sucks. I'll likely go with Halliday..

Well, I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean it sucks.

In addition to Halliday and Resnick, I also like Serway's book and Tipler's book, both at the same level. But to teach yourself introductory physics, you can't go wrong with Halliday and Resnick. And seeing that you already have it, well....

Hmm, ya know what.. I'm just going to get Halliday's.

You see, I do have a introductory physics backround, but it's somewhat loose. Since my school doesn't teach it, I self-studied using prep books such as PR. Maybe this book will give me a solid understanding, and I'll look for a more complex book this summer.

Thanks.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Knavish said:
Hmm, ya know what.. I'm just going to get Halliday's.

You see, I do have a introductory physics backround, but it's somewhat loose. Since my school doesn't teach it, I self-studied using prep books such as PR. Maybe this book will give me a solid understanding, and I'll look for a more complex book this summer.

Thanks.

Yes,okay,but you have to remember that the more "complex" the physics gets,the more mathematics you need to know to understand it.

Daniel.

University Physics by Young and Freedman is the up-to-date edition of the original version by Sears and Zemansky. It is quite a good book covering the overall concepts of physics. However some topics in it are discussed in depth like electrodynamics, mechanics etc.