1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best book to self teach yourself physics

1. Jan 21, 2005 #1
    hey, i really want to learn physics. however, I can't learn it in school yet. What are the best books for teaching yourself physics?
    p.s. I would eventually like to go into quantum, or another branch of theoetical physics. I'm not sure if this would influence the books I should start off reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2005 #2

EdW

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

--- and, for the more budget minded, http://www.jimloy.com/books/physics0.htm
    --- not Feynman, and oriented more to the introductory level, but otherwise decent.

5. Jan 25, 2005 #4
    I'd ask what grade you're in, but that's not really what matters. What's the highest level of maths you've been able to master? Feynman's lectures may prove quite formidable to someone who isn't familiar with vectors, analytic geometry, calculus, etc.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5
    Mentat, could you advise a book for someone just finishing Calc BC? I'm a high school senior right now, and I want a book that will help me delve into college physics. I've completed AP Physics B and almost C - which are both introductory college level courses.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  7. Feb 5, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My advice: You don't want Feynman yet. You want Halliday and Resnick.

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7
    I'm not trying to break into this thread but..

Do you have a say between University Physics and Halliday? These are the two I'm mainly looking at -- can't decide which one.

*And also which Halliday and Resnick are you talking about? 7th edition extended? Thanks.

9. Feb 5, 2005 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's OK, anyone may post to any thread.

University Physics by whom?

Whichever one you have would be fine. I studied from the 2nd edition and I taught from the 4th and 5th. They were all good.

10. Feb 5, 2005 #9
    11th Edition by Hugh D. Young

If you haven't heard of this book, it probably sucks. I'll likely go with Halliday..

Thanks for the quick replies; as you can see I'm not familiar with this, and I don't want to get screwed.

11. Feb 5, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean it sucks.

In addition to Halliday and Resnick, I also like Serway's book and Tipler's book, both at the same level. But to teach yourself introductory physics, you can't go wrong with Halliday and Resnick. And seeing that you already have it, well....

12. Feb 5, 2005 #11
    Hmm, ya know what.. I'm just going to get Halliday's.

You see, I do have a introductory physics backround, but it's somewhat loose. Since my school doesn't teach it, I self-studied using prep books such as PR. Maybe this book will give me a solid understanding, and I'll look for a more complex book this summer.

Thanks.

13. Feb 5, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,okay,but you have to remember that the more "complex" the physics gets,the more mathematics you need to know to understand it.

Daniel.

14. Feb 9, 2005 #13
    University Physics by Young and Freedman is the up-to-date edition of the original version by Sears and Zemansky. It is quite a good book covering the overall concepts of physics. However some topics in it are discussed in depth like electrodynamics, mechanics etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?