Exploring the Best Books for Studying Calculus: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary: everything is build upon from the basics. it has some rough spots, but everything is written clearly.there are books that focus on computational techniques and books that focus more on the theoretical basis for the calculus. then there are books that offer applications of the calculus. the one book that has all of these is courant's calculus. a classic work focusing more on applications and computations is thomas's calculus, preferably an early edition, and a book focusing mostly on theory is spivak's calculus.there are also books that try to make it as easy as possible, like "calculus made easy" by silvanus p thompson. a good modern book with mostly computations is stewart
José Ricardo
What are the best book to study Calculus? And there is a academic book with History of Calculus? I would like recommendations. I appreciate all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally found working through Stewart's Calculus along side Spivak's Calculus to be the best. Stewart has tons of problems and you can find all the solutions online and Spivak provides a more comprehensive coverage of topics. Both of them have helped me do well in undergraduate degree.

Likes José Ricardo
Hmm... Thanks, Safder!
If someone wants to add something more, feel free.

Likes Safder Aree
Just learning Calculus , then what books are best depends where you are. Local community colleges have (best bet) usually the right textbooks for semesters 1, 2, 3 for undergraduate Calculus.

Likes José Ricardo
symbolipoint said:
Just learning Calculus , then what books are best depends where you are. Local community colleges have (best bet) usually the right textbooks for semesters 1, 2, 3 for undergraduate Calculus.

My college uses Stewart. I didn't think by this POV.
Thanks, Simboli!

Other authors also write good undergraduate Calculus textbooks. Some authors may be Larson & Hostetler; Larson, Hostetler & Edwards; Aufman. Other members would have other suggestions.

Likes José Ricardo
Thanks a lot again, Simboli.

What are the best books of Calculu that are used in the best universities there in the U.S?

José Ricardo said:
What are the best books of Calculu that are used in the best universities there in the U.S?
One would guess that none of them would apply to you (checking your postings and checking your profile).
Regardless of that, you would expect to find textbooks by the authors:
  • Larson & Hostetler
  • Aufman, Barker, & Nation
  • Larson, Hostetler, & Edwards
  • James Stewart
probably others too, depending on what the departments at the colleges and universities choose.

Likes José Ricardo
symbolipoint said:
One would guess that none of them would apply to you (checking your postings and checking your profile).
Regardless of that, you would expect to find textbooks by the authors:
  • Larson & Hostetler
  • Aufman, Barker, & Nation
  • Larson, Hostetler, & Edwards
  • James Stewart
probably others too, depending on what the departments at the colleges and universities choose.

I think because my academic reality is different from these universities? My university uses Stewart.

Moise: Calculus.

Everything is build upon from the basics. It has some rough spots, but everything is written clearly.

Likes José Ricardo
there are books that focus on computational techniques and books that focus more on the theoretical basis for the calculus. then there are books that offer applications of the calculus. the one book that has all of these is courant's calculus. a classic work focusing more on applications and computations is thomas's calculus, preferably an early edition, and a book focusing mostly on theory is spivak's calculus.

there are also books that try to make it as easy as possible, like "calculus made easy" by silvanus p thompson. a good modern book with mostly computations is stewart's calculus, preferably maybe the 2nd or 3rd edition. also edwards and penney preferably an early edition.

if you can invest the time needed to master them, go for the books in the first paragraph above. another practical approach is to go to a library and see which book speaks most clearly to you.

Last edited:
Likes jcw99 and José Ricardo

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It includes two main branches: differential calculus, which focuses on the rates of change of quantities, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities.

Why is it important to study Calculus?

Calculus is an essential tool for understanding the physical world, as it provides a framework for analyzing and predicting the behavior of systems that change over time. It is also a fundamental building block for many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

What are the best books to study Calculus?

Some popular books for studying Calculus include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex. It is important to choose a book that suits your learning style and covers the topics you need to learn.

What topics should I focus on when studying Calculus?

Some key topics to focus on when studying Calculus include limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and series. It is also important to have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry, as these are essential for solving Calculus problems.

What are some tips for studying Calculus effectively?

To effectively study Calculus, it is important to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This can include solving practice problems, working through examples, and explaining concepts to others. It is also helpful to review previous topics regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.