Best books/workbooks for high school math refresher

In summary, the individual is looking for resources to re-teach themselves high school level math after not practicing it for 15+ years. They are specifically interested in learning pre-calc and calculus in order to pursue a career in teaching math or science. They are looking for books with solved problems and an index of notation to assist in their self-teaching journey.
sahmgeek
I need to re-teach myself high school level math. what are the best resources for doing this? My goal is to have the basics down so that i can learn pre-calc +. I haven't worked on real math in 15+ years, however it was always my strongest subject (A's, easy and effortless until pre-calc, which i then dropped b/c i couldn't be bothered).

Additionally, how difficult is it to teach oneself pre-calc/calc? I'm assuming that I will need to take a college course from pre-calc on?

The real reason for relearning math is that I have an interest in learning physics (and I feel so embarrassingly humbled saying this here), perhaps with the goal of teaching elementary or secondary ed math or science (undergrad and grad work were in psychology and philosophy).

But let's start with the math :). Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My criteria for books is to see whether the author has included some solved problems and an index of notation used. This go s together with putting effort into writing a good book.

1. What is the purpose of a high school math refresher?

A high school math refresher is designed to help students review and reinforce their understanding of key mathematical concepts before moving on to more advanced courses. It can also be helpful for students who want to improve their math skills for college entrance exams or to prepare for higher-level math classes.

2. How do I know which math refresher book or workbook is best for me?

The best math refresher book or workbook will depend on your specific needs and learning style. Some books may focus on specific topics, while others cover a wider range of concepts. It is important to read reviews and sample chapters to determine which book will best meet your needs.

3. Can a math refresher book or workbook be used as a substitute for a math class?

No, a math refresher should not be used as a substitute for a math class. It is meant to supplement your learning and provide additional practice and review. If you are struggling with a specific math class, it is best to seek additional help from a teacher or tutor.

4. How often should I use a math refresher book or workbook?

The frequency of using a math refresher book or workbook will depend on your individual needs and goals. Some students may benefit from using it daily, while others may only need to use it a few times a week. It is important to find a schedule that works for you and allows for consistent practice and review.

5. Can a math refresher book or workbook be used for all high school math levels?

Most math refresher books and workbooks are designed for specific levels, such as algebra, geometry, or calculus. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your current math level to ensure that you are reviewing the appropriate concepts. Some books may also offer multiple levels, allowing you to choose the one that best fits your needs.