1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best calculator for calculus?

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    Read this with your humor in tact, as it's a light hearted question that I would like to have analyzed by the masses that frequent this board. I appreciate all input.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've been calculator shopping and the packages fail to list important details on frequent occasions. I want a non-graphing, scientific calculator that I'm most likely allowed to use on my tests with the following abilities:
    • Answer in fractional or decimal form
    • Trigonometric identities in both degree and radian form
    • Solve for unknown variables algebraically
    • Compute derivatives and antiderivatives, both definitly and indefinitely.
    • Password protected as a theft deterrent
    • USB or similar connection for updates, hacking, etc...
    • Mp3 player, digital camera, cell phone, flash drive, and GPS navigator functionality...while I'm dreaming.

2. Relevant equations

Currently using the TI-30Xiis I bought back in middle school and my love, the TI-89 Titanium. MATLAB, if that counts...but I can't very well carry it around with me. Think my professors would allow me to use a calculator I craft myself? haha, no. I asked.

3. The attempt at a solution

Casio FX-115w - which disappoints me

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2
    I don't think you're going to find a non-graphing calculator that does much of that.
  4. Jan 20, 2008 #3
    Only time you should consider a new calculator is when you get into Calculus 3. Till then, use your head.
  5. Jan 20, 2008 #4
    I have my head, I want to shorten the time it takes to compute fractions, double check my derivatives and antiderivatives, and speed up my test taking in general.

Is there a good chart for comparing calculator functionality, both graphing and non graphing or both?
  6. Jan 20, 2008 #5
    Have you ever used the TI-89 to compute an Integral? You'd be surprised how different your answers will compare, pretty useless if you just want to compute derivatives and integrals.
  7. Jan 20, 2008 #6
    Yes I have. It's most useful for definite integration but the indefinite integration usually matches perfectly with my answer unless there are trig. identities present...then again I rarely compute, much less compare, such things.

I recently installed ME Pro, TiReader, and a few helpful programs for Chemistry (The periodic table is awesome! Normal stuff plus the radius, e-negativity, density, boiling/melting point, standard state...wish I had it before I finished my Chem courses!)

Any little known programs worth mentioning? I'd love to have the step-by-step derivative/integral solver, but not enough to shell out $20+ bucks for it (or the $150 that ti89.com charges...) I'm interested in anything engineering, statistical, or economic related.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?