Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best calculus software?

1. Mar 8, 2007 #1
    What is the best calculus program that i could buy? is it mathematica or something else?

I'm looking for a program that will be able to compute integrals (definite and indefinite), differentials , and such things

also because i take linear algebra it would be nice if it had a nice matrix calculations.

thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

The student edition of Mathematica sounds like it would be a good fit for you.
  4. Mar 8, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that there are free programs, like Maxima, which do many of things that Mathematica does. You may be totally satisfied with these free programs.

- Warren
  5. Mar 9, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

I use Mathematica and MathCad. I really like Mathematica, but you have to realize that it is so expansive to cover so many things, there are some things that can trip you up in what we think are "basic" calculations. It definitely took some getting used to. I have looked over the Maxima web site about a hundred times, but just have not had the time to play with it. It looks very similar to Mathematica.
  6. Mar 9, 2007 #5

Gold Member

If youre looking for free software, you can get Maxima. In addition to Mathematica, Wolfram also has a separate package called Calculus WIZ, which also does what you want.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?