Best calculus software?

• Thread starter maximf
  • Start date
What is the best calculus program that i could buy? is it mathematica or something else?

I'm looking for a program that will be able to compute integrals (definite and indefinite), differentials , and such things

also because i take linear algebra it would be nice if it had a nice matrix calculations.

thank you

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
The student edition of Mathematica sounds like it would be a good fit for you.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Keep in mind that there are free programs, like Maxima, which do many of things that Mathematica does. You may be totally satisfied with these free programs.

- Warren

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I use Mathematica and MathCad. I really like Mathematica, but you have to realize that it is so expansive to cover so many things, there are some things that can trip you up in what we think are "basic" calculations. It definitely took some getting used to. I have looked over the Maxima web site about a hundred times, but just have not had the time to play with it. It looks very similar to Mathematica.

ranger
Gold Member
If youre looking for free software, you can get Maxima. In addition to Mathematica, Wolfram also has a separate package called Calculus WIZ, which also does what you want.