Best Career for self employment

In summary, programming can provide flexibility for a freelancer, but it requires discipline and time management to be successful. It is possible to make a healthy 5-figure salary as a freelance programmer, but it is unlikely to reach a 6-figure salary unless you have a viral application or significant investment backing. Knowing lean and clean coding and targeting specific industries can increase chances of success in selling programs to small businesses.
RadiationX
Which degree electrical engineering or computer science (programming) would be a better choice for a freelancer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Programming can give you flexibility as long as you keeps your skills current. I wrote application programs for local business for a year or so, and it was pretty interesting. The problem with that model is that I had to take care of all the business aspects (marketing, advertising, etc) and all the programming, debugging, installation, follow-up, training, etc. You'll have to be pretty disciplined if you want to self-employed in programming. It took me about 6 months of good customer recommendations, referrals, etc, before I built up enough clients to allow me to stay busy programming without having to spend a lot of time drumming up business. You'll have to budget your time and finances for that. I worked a lot of 16-18 hr days during start-up.

turbo-1 said:
Programming can give you flexibility as long as you keeps your skills current. I wrote application programs for local business for a year or so, and it was pretty interesting. The problem with that model is that I had to take care of all the business aspects (marketing, advertising, etc) and all the programming, debugging, installation, follow-up, training, etc. You'll have to be pretty disciplined if you want to self-employed in programming. It took me about 6 months of good customer recommendations, referrals, etc, before I built up enough clients to allow me to stay busy programming without having to spend a lot of time drumming up business. You'll have to budget your time and finances for that. I worked a lot of 16-18 hr days during start-up.

If you don't mind me asking, what types of applications did you write and for what type of businesses did you write them for. Do you think it's possible to earn a six figure salary after taxes doing freelance programming? What languages to you think are essential?

I'm a dinosaur. I wrote applications in dBase III+ and compiled them with FoxRun. I wrote accounting software, inventory-control applications, and other stuff for small businesses. I wrote a complete point-of-sale/inventory control package for a wood-harvesting equipment manufacturer that also had a repair facility and a retail parts department. The receivables from wholesale and retail sales flowed directly to the accounting software that I wrote for his front office. I wrote that entire point-of-sale application in a week, but I was one burnt-out puppy by the end of the week.

I wrote code primarily for trucking companies, manufacturers, law firms and real estate agencies. The code had to be very lean and clean, because at that time desk-top machines were 286s and servers were 386s.

6-figure salaries are not in the cards for a programmer unless you have an idea for a killer application that goes viral and attracts real investment backing. Working as a free-lance in a local market, you can expect a healthy 5-figure yearly payday if you're good at it.

Last edited:
turbo-1, I also had the idea of making computer programs to sell to small companies but I only know one particular not heavily-used form of BASIC and it is for Windows only (although the producer of this BASIC is adapting it for other operating systems). I developed some interesting and useful programs to help people mostly in one narrow industry for well defined analysis tasks. I tried calling on the phone to well-suited companies and sent some letters to several companies too, but nobody showed interest. Since nobody ever showed interest, I have not even convinced anyone to help me with testing, so I am the only one now who is aware (or even WAS aware) of my programs. I tend to believe that if someone tries to solicit interest in his own self-created program then the potential customers do not want to know more; if the company knows they want a particular program, then they will either search for it with an existing, producing company or will search for a private contract consultant to create what is needed. Any comments about all this?

'symbolipoint'

symbolipoint said:
turbo-1, I also had the idea of making computer programs to sell to small companies but I only know one particular not heavily-used form of BASIC and it is for Windows only (although the producer of this BASIC is adapting it for other operating systems). I developed some interesting and useful programs to help people mostly in one narrow industry for well defined analysis tasks. I tried calling on the phone to well-suited companies and sent some letters to several companies too, but nobody showed interest. Since nobody ever showed interest, I have not even convinced anyone to help me with testing, so I am the only one now who is aware (or even WAS aware) of my programs. I tend to believe that if someone tries to solicit interest in his own self-created program then the potential customers do not want to know more; if the company knows they want a particular program, then they will either search for it with an existing, producing company or will search for a private contract consultant to create what is needed. Any comments about all this?

'symbolipoint'
I don't know what to tell you. At the time that I was writing apps, there were lots of really heavy apps that would do similar stuff, but the hardware requirements were high, and the software offered lots of "fluff" that real businesses didn't need or that could have been implemented more smoothly with less code. If you can write slim/trim code that does what the customer needs, you're in.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a self-employed career?

There are several benefits to choosing a self-employed career. First, you have the freedom to make your own schedule and work on your own terms. You also have the potential to earn more money as you are in control of your own income. Additionally, self-employment allows for greater creativity and flexibility in your work.

2. Are there any downsides to being self-employed?

While there are many advantages to self-employment, there are also some potential downsides. One challenge is the lack of stability and security that comes with being your own boss. You are solely responsible for finding and maintaining clients or customers, and if business is slow, your income may suffer. Additionally, self-employment often requires a lot of discipline and self-motivation to stay on track with work and deadlines.

3. What industries are best for self-employment?

There are many industries that lend themselves well to self-employment. Some popular options include freelancing, consulting, real estate, and online businesses. However, the best industry for self-employment ultimately depends on your unique skills, interests, and market demand. It is important to research and carefully consider your options before making a decision.

4. How can one prepare for a self-employed career?

Preparing for a self-employed career involves a few key steps. First, it is important to have a clear business plan and understand your target market. It may also be helpful to gain experience in your desired industry and develop a strong network of potential clients or customers. Additionally, having some financial stability and savings is crucial as self-employment can come with unpredictable income.

5. What skills are necessary for a successful self-employed career?

There are several skills that are important for success in a self-employed career. These include strong time management and organizational skills, as well as self-discipline and motivation. Additionally, strong communication and networking skills are crucial for finding and maintaining clients or customers. Creativity, adaptability, and problem-solving skills are also important for navigating the challenges of self-employment.