Preparing for Real Analysis & Modern Algebra: Best (Cheap) Texts

In summary, the person is a junior undergraduate in CS & Mathematics and is looking for easy-to-read material to prepare for two difficult classes in the fall: Real Analysis I and Modern Algebra I. They have a strong background in Calculus but lack knowledge in Statistics and Geometry. They have only taken one proofs class and are looking for recommendations for textbooks, guides, and websites. Suggestions include open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/subjects/7 and openstax.org/subjects, as well as studying Discrete Mathematics.
daveyp225
Okay, I am a junior undergraduate in CS & Mathematics and I want to be prepared for these two classes when I take them.

I am currently signed up in the fall for Real Analysis I and Modern Algebra I (among other classes). I have a strong background in Calculus, but don't have much of a background in Statistics or Geometry. I am looking for some easy-to-read material that I can study over the summer that will make these two classes easier for me (I have heard they were very difficult). I have only taken one proofs class so far, and I feel weak in this area although I do understnad the basic proof methods.

Which textbooks, guides, websites might I find beneficial? I'm asking here instead of browsing Amazon.com for reviews because the reviews are usually made by professors or graduate students who obviously have more understanding of the subject than I do. I would also appreciate any suggestions you have for me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the key topics covered in Real Analysis and Modern Algebra?

The key topics covered in Real Analysis and Modern Algebra include sets, functions, limits, continuity, sequences, series, algebraic structures, groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces.

2. What are some recommended textbooks for studying Real Analysis and Modern Algebra?

Some recommended textbooks for studying Real Analysis and Modern Algebra are "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Bartle and Sherbert, "Abstract Algebra" by Dummit and Foote, and "Linear Algebra" by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence.

3. Are there any free or affordable resources available for studying Real Analysis and Modern Algebra?

Yes, there are many free or affordable resources available for studying Real Analysis and Modern Algebra. These include online lectures, video tutorials, practice problems, and open access textbooks.

4. What are some tips for preparing for a Real Analysis and Modern Algebra course?

Some tips for preparing for a Real Analysis and Modern Algebra course are to review basic algebra and calculus concepts, practice solving problems and proofs, and familiarize yourself with key definitions and theorems.

5. How important is it to have a solid understanding of Real Analysis and Modern Algebra in the field of science?

Having a solid understanding of Real Analysis and Modern Algebra is crucial for scientists, especially those working in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Many advanced concepts and techniques in these fields rely on the foundations of Real Analysis and Modern Algebra.