Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best common-LISP IDE around?

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    Hi guys.

I want to try LISP programming. Anyone recommend any IDEs? I've read about SLIME, but the posts are old and the site looks outdated.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2
    Are you on a windows/mac/linux machine? In general, you are still best off using SLIME. You don't need to worry about it being unmaintained - it actually gets updated very frequently...the same can be said of Emacs.

On the other hand, you might consider learning Clojure. Common Lisp is really good, but it can be difficult to find people that know it very well.

If you decide to use Common Lisp, I recommend you look at Quicklisp to get started. If you pick Clojure, you can just clone the "emacs live" repository on github and get started right away, or hunt down the SLIME-like nrepl plugin (also on github).

Happy hacking!

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    I don't know if it supports it, but Dr. Racket is good for Lisp like languages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook