Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Driver?

1. Aug 2, 2003 #1
    After reading a thread on this forum i thought that this would make a good thread for people to discuss who they feel is the best racing driver ever. This could be a Formula 1, Indy, Nascar or any other profesional racing driver. Dont want any fools claiming to be a better driver when nobody has ever heard of them.

For me Ayrton Senna was the best driver ever because he was Formula 1 world champion 3 times in 88,90,91 in a time when there where many great drivers racing against each other. And all of his fellow profesionals said that he was the best as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2003 #2
    i know i go against the concencus when i say "michael shumacher" (sp?) but he really is a good driver, just because you get a good car doesnt automatically put you on top, and hes really going at it this season and STILL doing well.! ralf is good too, hes in lesser car and doing well :)

of cours ei dont really speak from experiance, i only watch formula 1, no motoGP, le mans, NASCAR etc!

4. Aug 2, 2003 #3
    Michael Shumacher is a great driver, no denying that but he is racing at a time when there is very little serious competetion, who has really challenged shumacher to his last 2 titles noone. Whereas senna was racing at a time when there where many other great drivers and cars that where alot more equally balanced, i also hear that he was able to step into almost any car and drive it very fast.

5. Aug 4, 2003 #4
    No Andy I don't think Senna was the best. He had the talent and the will to win but he thought he was invincible and that was his undoing.

The best is Alain Prost. He was as good as Senna in the driver's seat but in addition he knew his own limitations.

6. Aug 4, 2003 #5
    I vote for Raymond Babbet. Course,
    he's an excellent driver.

7. Aug 4, 2003 #6
    What racing series does he race in, Raymond babbet that is.

8. Aug 4, 2003 #7
    Oh, his Dad lets him drive on
    the driveway on Saturday. Yeah.
    Slow, on the driveway. Course
    he's an excellent driver. Yeah.

9. Aug 4, 2003 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Zenardi? Anyone watch those Iroc races? I think he used to clean house against the drivers from the other circuits.

10. Aug 4, 2003 #9
    I cant tell whether this is meant to be sarcastic or whether its meant to be serious, please explain.

11. Aug 4, 2003 #10
    Andy,

It's a joke, not sarcasm, though.

It's an allusion to the movie
    "Rainman" with Dustin Hoffman and
    Tom Cruise.

Dustin Hoffman plays Raymond Bab-
    bit who is an autistic/savant.
    Raymond is great with math and
    memorization of things but he
    doesn't know his limits. His father used to let him drive the
    car slowly on the driveway. Now
    Raymond believes he is a master
    behind the wheel. He says of him-
    self: "Course, I'm an excellent
    driver. Yeah." whenever the subject comes up.

It might have made you smile if
    you had seen the film.

-zoob

12. Aug 5, 2003 #11
    Maybe if i had seen it. will look out for the vid or dvd.

13. Aug 5, 2003 #12

megashawn

Science Advisor

hehehe, trying to start a fight???

Anyhow, I do not really have an opinion on who the greatest driver is. To many variables that go into it. It would be easier to come up with a group of the greatest drivers.

And let me state this in the clear and open. I in no way shape or form consider myself the greatest driver, but I'm pretty good.

Anyone want to sponsor me in a race team?

I'm gonna vote for a safe position, since you didn't exclude motorcross. Jeff Ward. Considered the Godfather of motorcross.

I don't think there is a more physically demanding form of competition racing then MX.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?