Best drummer ever

Who would make your list of the top drummers ever.
Mike Portnoy, Neil Pert, Buddy Rich.

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member
John Bonham.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
animal

russ_watters
Mentor
Phil Collins

[no, I'm not]

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There's Bonham, and then there's everybody else.

turbo
Gold Member
There's Bonham, and then there's everybody else.
My sentiments exactly. I'm a guitarist and vocalist and tend to "key in" on those, but Bonham commanded my attention each and every time. When I listen to Led Zep, I always hear Bonham. If the question had been "who was the best rhythm section", I'd have to go with Mick Fleetwood and John MacVie. Peter Green named his band after them for a reason.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We all know who Buddy Rich would say.

I think it might be Buddy Rich, but I'm gonna say Dave Grohl.

Rick Allen, hands down... errrr... hand down :cool:.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What comes to mind: Bonham, Keith Moon (The Who), Ian Paice (Purple), Peart (Rush), the Dreamtheater drummer, The Police's drummer, Niko McBrain (Maiden), Ringo, Lars Ulrich, Nick Mason, the drummer for Queen, Ginger Baker, John Densmore.

I'm certain I'm missing out a few more good ones.

You can't top buddy rich. He had a left hand roll that obliterated most two hand rolls.

turbo
Gold Member
You can't top buddy rich. He had a left hand roll that obliterated most two hand rolls.
Have you heard the tape "Buddy thanks the band"? Buddy was good but not even a fraction as good as he thought he was. I do have a copy of his drum battle with Roach and it is a really good CD. Still think Bonham is tops though.

I had a full set of Fibes drums, which Buddy favored, but he couldn't get a fat endorsement off them. He played Ludwigs for the endorsement, but always kept a Fibes snare behind the kit for the punch. I swapped a $150 brass snare for a vintage Fibes snare, and loved it!!

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Have you heard the tape "Buddy thanks the band"? Buddy was good but not even a fraction as good as he thought he was.
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~ejipci/buddy_rich.htm" [Broken] with a transcription of some of the famous Buddy "flip outs." It is wild. A must read. Be sure to read the "positive note" that precedes it. When you get a chance, listen to the audio of these rampages.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Peter Erskine.

rcgldr
Homework Helper
If I remember correctly, Sandy Nelson was the last popular drummer not associated with a particular band, back in the 1950's and 1960's. I think that was the end of the drummer as a solo act era. I barely recall hearing some of his stuff at a friends house back in the late 1960's. There's a wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Nelson

Lars Ulrich is pretty good, Bonham definitely, how about the drummer from Meshuggah he definitely has some interesting timings, sometimes it almost sounds as if he's off, but then a couple of bars later you realise that it is in time, strange, but pretty cool. There is also Joey from Slipknot, as entertainment goes, you can't beat his uside down drum solos, plus his double bass kicks are awesome.

Given that Nirvana rules the known universe, I will naturally say Dave Grohl.

kronon
Dave lombardo

how about me?

naa that guy from "Dream Theatre" is the best.

Given that Nirvana rules the known universe, I will naturally say Dave Grohl.

He was alright, and is definatly a talented musician. But Best? no way.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

He's certainly a popular drummer for hire.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Excuse me, but you dismiss Dave Grohl immediately after proffering Mr. Portnoy of Dream Theatre? No, not a terrible drummer, but hey, I don't think a huge kit and a double bass makes the best drummer either.

Let's both face facts, neither can hold a dim candle to the likes of Buddy Rich, but I know either one would probably be more fun at a party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erE8WTngaAY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGd53pmiZs&feature=related
(if you are short on time, skip to about 4:00 into the second link there. Any doubt?)

Last edited:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay. I couldn't resist.
Back in the day, there was Gene Krupa. I'm sure there are some old people around here that has heard of him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Krupa" [Broken]
He was my idle when learning percussion as a kid.

turbo
Gold Member
Okay. I couldn't resist.
Back in the day, there was Gene Krupa. I'm sure there are some old people around here that has heard of him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Krupa" [Broken]
Oh, yeah. Still can't stack up to Bonham, IMO

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well since those times turbo, I've seen tallent in music exponentiate. Yea, no way to compare him with todays drummers.