Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best drummer ever

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    Who would make your list of the top drummers ever.
    Mike Portnoy, Neil Pert, Buddy Rich.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

John Bonham.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

animal

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Phil Collins

[no, I'm not]

6. Feb 16, 2009 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's Bonham, and then there's everybody else.

7. Feb 16, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

My sentiments exactly. I'm a guitarist and vocalist and tend to "key in" on those, but Bonham commanded my attention each and every time. When I listen to Led Zep, I always hear Bonham. If the question had been "who was the best rhythm section", I'd have to go with Mick Fleetwood and John MacVie. Peter Green named his band after them for a reason.

8. Feb 16, 2009 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We all know who Buddy Rich would say.

I think it might be Buddy Rich, but I'm gonna say Dave Grohl.

9. Feb 16, 2009 #8
    Rick Allen, hands down... errrr... hand down :cool:.

10. Feb 16, 2009 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What comes to mind: Bonham, Keith Moon (The Who), Ian Paice (Purple), Peart (Rush), the Dreamtheater drummer, The Police's drummer, Niko McBrain (Maiden), Ringo, Lars Ulrich, Nick Mason, the drummer for Queen, Ginger Baker, John Densmore.

I'm certain I'm missing out a few more good ones.

11. Feb 16, 2009 #10
    You can't top buddy rich. He had a left hand roll that obliterated most two hand rolls.

12. Feb 16, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Have you heard the tape "Buddy thanks the band"? Buddy was good but not even a fraction as good as he thought he was. I do have a copy of his drum battle with Roach and it is a really good CD. Still think Bonham is tops though.

I had a full set of Fibes drums, which Buddy favored, but he couldn't get a fat endorsement off them. He played Ludwigs for the endorsement, but always kept a Fibes snare behind the kit for the punch. I swapped a $150 brass snare for a vintage Fibes snare, and loved it!!

13. Feb 16, 2009 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://www.cis.rit.edu/~ejipci/buddy_rich.htm" [Broken] with a transcription of some of the famous Buddy "flip outs." It is wild. A must read. Be sure to read the "positive note" that precedes it. When you get a chance, listen to the audio of these rampages.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Feb 16, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

15. Feb 16, 2009 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Peter Erskine.

16. Feb 16, 2009 #15

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If I remember correctly, Sandy Nelson was the last popular drummer not associated with a particular band, back in the 1950's and 1960's. I think that was the end of the drummer as a solo act era. I barely recall hearing some of his stuff at a friends house back in the late 1960's. There's a wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Nelson

17. Feb 17, 2009 #16
    Lars Ulrich is pretty good, Bonham definitely, how about the drummer from Meshuggah he definitely has some interesting timings, sometimes it almost sounds as if he's off, but then a couple of bars later you realise that it is in time, strange, but pretty cool. There is also Joey from Slipknot, as entertainment goes, you can't beat his uside down drum solos, plus his double bass kicks are awesome.

18. Feb 17, 2009 #17
    Given that Nirvana rules the known universe, I will naturally say Dave Grohl.

19. Feb 17, 2009 #18
    Dave lombardo

20. Feb 17, 2009 #19
    how about me?

naa that guy from "Dream Theatre" is the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. Feb 17, 2009 #20
    He was alright, and is definatly a talented musician. But Best? no way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook