Best episode of a TV series

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
He never caught the roadrunner. You are thinking of a commercial for Acme BBQs.

At the end of one of the cartoons, he chases the roadrunner through a pipeline of decreasing size. When they come out of the end they have shrunk to about 4 in tall. they run back through the pipe the other way, and when they come out, the roadrunner has returned to normal size but the coyote hasn't. The coyote runs up to the roadrunner and wraps his arms around one of his legs. Then he looks up at the roadrunner and holds out a sign that says: "Okay wiseguys. You've always wanted me to catch him. Now what?"

Here's a link to the clip:

I didn't get the quote on the sign exactly right, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Let's see,

Deep Space Nine: Trials and Tribblelations.

Some nice work of digitally inserting DS9 characters into scenes from the original series"Trouble with Tribbles" episode.

Enterprise : Through a Mirror Darkly

Takes place entirely in the alternate universe from the original series episode "Mirror Mirror" (they even re-shot an alternate universe version of the opening credits).

Extra points for tying in with two other original series episodes, "The Tholian Web" (with the Defiant) and "Arena" (with the Gorn)

I really never cared much for either of these two series, but these episodes stood out.

What show would you say moved you to tears? Something that you felt for humanity or for that one character in the show.

Any suggestions?

Some of the shows you guys have named are ones I may want to watch sometime soon.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What show would you say moved you to tears? Something that you felt for humanity or for that one character in the show.

Any suggestions?

Some of the shows you guys have named are ones I may want to watch sometime soon.

My sisters cried during almost every episode of Little House on the Prairie, as did Michael Landon. You might give that one a try. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dr. Who?

I particularly liked the season finale where Rose joins with the Tardis and we discovoer the meaning of Bad Wolf.

But then the episode with the angels [statues] was very good - the ones that only exist when not observed! :rofl:

Stargate Atlantis, Season 3, Episode 15, The Game

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I had to do a bit of recollection to figure out which was my favorite Seinfeld episode. Can't say for sure, but way up the list is "The Boyfriend," in which Jerry befriends Kieth Hernandez. IT contains the best moment, IMHO, as George is on the floor, having tripped over his fallen trousers, Jerry walks in the room and says:
"And you wanted to be my latex salesman." In context it was sidesplitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MWxrt3bEnBs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MWxrt3bEnBs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Fling

Mk
I just can't ever forget the pilot episode for 'Magnum: PI'. The ending of that show was awesome, but it's been modified in syndication broadcasts.
Ahaha! I love that show :)

Cheers and Seinfeld!

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Darmok (and Jalad at Tanagra).

(Though, admittedly, it's been a long time and I just have a fuzzy memory of liking it)

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Cheers and Seinfeld!
Which episodes? That was the hard part of the question. Lot's of people say that "The contest" was the best ep of Seinfeld, but I don't really think that made the top ten for me.

I'd really have to wrack my memory to figure out the best Cheers episode. It would have to be an episode with Woody, though. This was one instance when a replacement character was in improvement to the show.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The "Taxi" episode where Jim gets his license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk

jtbell
Mentor
Star Trek TOS: The Corbomite Maneuver

The Trouble With Tribbles. :biggrin:

Maybe not the best episode, but the best closing: the finale of the "Newhart Show", where at the end, Newhart wakes up in bed with his wife Emily (Suzanne Pleshettte) from his earlier "Bob Newhart Show," and says something like "Emily, I had the strangest dream... I dreamed that I was an innkeeper in Vermont."

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For Star Trek, my favorite episode was "City on the Edge of Forever". McCoy goes back in time to New York City and changes history so the Enterprise doesn't exist. Kirk and Spick go back in time after McCoy to prevent him from changing history.

The episode has an interesting history behind it.

The original script (by Harlan Ellison) has an expendable guest crewmember become a drug addict and flee into the past. The drug addicted crewmember kills a legless World War I veteran and prevents the death of a social worker. Preventing the death of the social worker changes history while killing the war veteran doesn't.

In the final version actually televised, McCoy interacts with a homeless man (but doesn't kill him) and prevents the death of a war protester. The war protester results in the world being conquered by Nazis and in the non-existence of the Enterprise.

The "we'd be better off if war protesters were dead" message caused a conflict between Ellison, who opposed the Viet Nam war, and the show's producers.

Aside from the political considerations, the episode forces Kirk to make a tough decision about his girlfriend. He decides the world would be better off if she were run over by a bus.

Last edited:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Darmok (and Jalad at Tanagra).

(Though, admittedly, it's been a long time and I just have a fuzzy memory of liking it)
That was a good one, I think. I find I am better at remembering my reactions to episodes better than I remember the episodes themselves.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The "Taxi" episode where Jim gets his license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk

At 4:14 in the clip:

"what does a yellow light mean?"

go from there...
:rofl: :rofl:

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Firefly is good. any of the episodes in the short lived series.
Yes, but can you pick one or two episodes? I'm thinking Jaynestown, the one where the planet's downtrodden people have built a statue honoring Jayne.

Oh yeah SG1: Window of opportunity (the one where Colonel O'Neil and Teal'c have to keep repeating the same time period, groundhog day style)

And the one where they parody SG1 with a sci fi series: Wormhole X-Treme!

The O'Neil/Teal'c/groundhog day episode of SG1 is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Wormhole X-Treme was pretty good too! "As a matter of fact it does say 'colonel' on my uniform..."

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Seinfeld - Stella!

Get Smart - the doppleganger King Charles one, using the Prisoner of Zenda's(?) Coleman, Danny Kaye's Vessel with the pestle, chalice from the palace, dragon with the flagon routine, and a favourite quote, 'beware of your head, my friend'.

The O'Neil/Teal'c/groundhog day episode of SG1 is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Wormhole X-Treme was pretty good too! "As a matter of fact it does say 'colonel' on my uniform..."

I like the actor Colonel, especially the out takes at the end, where he's saying "what do you mean this isn't a real series?" Good tongue in cheek irony. :biggrin:

Macgyver Coffin...

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/LTWEh2mcdsg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTWEh2mcdsg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Get Smart - the doppleganger King Charles one, using the Prisoner of Zenda's(?) Coleman, Danny Kaye's Vessel with the pestle, chalice from the palace, dragon with the flagon routine, and a favourite quote, 'beware of your head, my friend'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2YUQMWW_jM

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
:rofl: Love that show.
Also, forgot to attribute Stella to The Streetcar Named desire.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I like the actor Colonel, especially the out takes at the end, where he's saying "what do you mean this isn't a real series?" Good tongue in cheek irony. :biggrin:
Oh yeah, and I loved when he said "Hey! It doesn't say 'colonel' on my uniform."