What Eye Pieces Work Best for Beginners with a Meade DS114 Telescope?

• Thread starter ReneeS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to reassemble their Meade DS114 telescope and having difficulty locating objects besides the moon. They are wondering if they should try different eyepieces or if it's just a matter of improving their skills. The conversation also suggests using a finder for more accurate targeting.
ReneeS
I've got a telescope (Meade DS114 -- reflecting, D = 114mm, F= 910mm, f/8) that I'm trying to get together again. We have several eye pieces still around -- H25mm, H12.5mm, SR4mm. We had a hard time locating objects (besides large things like the moon), so I'm wondering if I should try other eye pieces? Or is it just a matter of honing our skills? Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ReneeS said:
I've got a telescope (Meade DS114 -- reflecting, D = 114mm, F= 910mm, f/8) that I'm trying to get together again. We have several eye pieces still around -- H25mm, H12.5mm, SR4mm. We had a hard time locating objects (besides large things like the moon), so I'm wondering if I should try other eye pieces? Or is it just a matter of honing our skills? Thanks!

Hi ReneeS! :smile:

Doesn't the DS114 come with a finder attached?

If the finder's not accurate, try it with a distant tree.

If there's no finder, then get one … there is a reason why telescopes come with finders! :wink:

1. What are eye pieces and why are they important for a telescope?

Eye pieces are the small lenses that you look through when using a telescope. They are important because they determine the magnification and clarity of the image you see.

2. What is the recommended size or focal length for eye pieces for a beginner?

The recommended size or focal length for eye pieces for a beginner is between 25mm-10mm. This range will provide a good balance between magnification and field of view.

3. Which type of eye piece is best for a beginner?

For a beginner, a Plössl or Kellner eye piece is recommended. These types of eye pieces offer good quality images and are relatively affordable.

4. Can I use any eye piece with my telescope?

No, not all eye pieces are compatible with all telescopes. It is important to check the specifications of your telescope before purchasing an eye piece to ensure compatibility.

5. What other factors should I consider when choosing eye pieces for my telescope?

Other factors to consider include the eye relief, which is the distance between the eye piece and your eye, the field of view, and the type of telescope you have (refractor, reflector, or catadioptric).